native red monarda (didyma)

reddirt(z5 OHIO)February 2, 2007

does anyone know where to get seeds for this monarda? i've looked all over the internet and can't find seeds of purely the red variety, and not a cultivar, just the original. i thought this plant was native to ohio and that it would be easy to find. any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janet_e(6B PA)

The New England Wild Flower Society sells straight red mondarda. You have to join the organization to buy seeds from them, but they are a good cause.

Here is a link that might be useful: New England Wild Flower Society seeds

Bookmark   February 2, 2007 at 9:44PM
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

New England Wildflower Society

Here is a link that might be useful: NEWFS

Bookmark   February 2, 2007 at 9:44PM
davidl_ny5

Actually, you don't have to join NEWFS to buy, but there are advantages to doing so, and you've got to move quickly, sales close in mid-March.

I've grown the species from seed and not found it a wonderful plant. A little limp; actually, a lot limp. From the pictures I've seen, the cultivars are taller with bigger flowers and stand up straighter. But mine may not get quite enough sun (or maybe moisture as well) where I have it and may suffer from that. Note to self: Put it on the list -- time for a monarda move!

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 4:45PM
ncrescue

They grow wonderfully in the NC mts. in seeps where there is a patch of sun. I have tried some in drier sites, and they did not do well. I plan to collect seeds next year if the plants are still in the place for which I have permission. There WAS a big stand of them where someone built a house AND channeled the spring away from them. In two years they were all gone. So, apparently they do need more water than other monardas. Oh, same for the Gray's lily that was nearby. What a shame as it is a plant that is threatened or endangered in most areas.

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Elm scale
I planted a Princeton Elm in my front yard 2 years...
aew75
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™