Sick Rhododendron

dwaughApril 23, 2007

I just moved into a new house that has lots of roses and some rhododendrons and azaleas. Most of the rhododendrons look good... one does not

http://www.personal.kent.edu/~dwaugh/sickrhodo.jpg

I have pruned the dead branches and gave is a light application of hollytone. I'm wondering if I should remove the dead leaves on individual basis, remove the whole branch(s), or just leave it alone. I was hoping some people in the know could look at my photo and offer some suggestions... Thanks, David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_Ann(5)

We probably need a lot more information (where is it growing -- soil type -- watering -- things like that) but at first look, it could be sun damage/drought. Is it in full sun? What kind of watering does it get (for example, if it's under the eaves a house it may not get enough water from rainfall).

It could be a disease, too, but it's hard to tell from the photo. I would hesitate to tell you to do anything to the plant to address the problem without knowing exactly what's wrong.

Rhododendrons tend to have problems in the Midwest; they just don't thrive here like they do in some areas of the country, but they sure can be beautiful.

If you have a local master gardener clinic, take some good photos (like the one you have and some close ups) and a good sized piece of the plant (leaves and stem) and take it in to the clinic. They should ask you a whole bunch of questions that will help them figure out the problem. Or, if there's a garden center you especially trust and know, do the same with them.

Sorry I don't have a better answer; good luck!

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 4:45AM
Carol_Ann(5)

As a PS, you might post in the rhodie forum... see link. Folks there might be able to help more! Good luck...

Here is a link that might be useful: rhodie forum

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 10:16AM
dwaugh

Thanks for the replies. I just moved into the house and don't now anything about what was done before. I have only fertilized and mulched. Its not in full sun. I will try to get some better pictures and post in the rhodie forum. Thanks!
-David

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Year round outdoor containers for Chicago
I would like to know what plants, either flowers or...
rbpchicago
Ruby falls redbud
I just purchased a ruby falls red bud and I'm a zone...
greenygar
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
chinandega81
Columnar fastigiate screening tree recommendations
hello! I'm wondering if members have recommendations...
SchnooMom
clay soil-yellowish plant leaves
I have Indiana clay soil that hasnt been worked in...
muddy_mom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™