Paxistima myrsinites in zone 8a?

bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)February 28, 2014

Does anyone know if paxistima myrsinites (mountain lover, myrtle boxwood, Oregon boxwood) can adapt to 8a lowland heat in shaded spaces?

Here is a link that might be useful: Paxistima myrsinites (NPIN)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Didn't you answer your own question in that link? Texas is part of its native range so why wouldn't it adapt as long as soil moisture was maintained and sufficient shade provided.?

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 7:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

No - link actually leaves Texas outside it's NATIVE range, which it lists as the mountain states/provinces west to California/B.C. Texas shows up in the current DISTRIBUTION record due to a weird outlier in the PLANTS data showing it present (vs native) only in a south central county (Bexar - where San Antonio is located). No response when I asked about it on the TX forum, so am guessing the reported occurrence is likely some special case or error. If actually native to (or naturalized in) Texas, seems much more likely to be found in higher elevation regions along the western edges of the state. Though would still be pleased to learn of a variant that can endure the central Texas heat and alkalinity.

The silence here and elsewhere sort of confirmed my suspicion that not much is known of or being done with p. myrsinites in the zone 8 flat-lands. I may still give it a try next year if any of the few mail order sources pan out.

This post was edited by bostedo on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 18:31

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Elm scale
I planted a Princeton Elm in my front yard 2 years...
aew75
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
Native Evergreen Shrubs
There seems to be a real shortage of species that fit...
jigsawearth
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™