Looking for native plant book

birdboyhg(PA 6a)February 7, 2008

Hello all Im looking for a book that is out of press. It is called "North American Native Terrestrial Orchids; Propagation and Production" I have been asking for cypripedium seeds for my reintroduction project and I emailed theSteels of Spangle Creek Labs and they recommended trying to find this book. Anyone who has an unwanted copy, id be willing to trade plants or cash for it,or knows where to purchase one, please let me know. Thank you. Brandan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northeastwisc(4)

This book is very hard to find. It is a conference proceedings of the 1996 conference by "The North American Native Terrestrial Orchid Conference". I believe this organization no longer exists.

No one I know would be willing to part with their copy. Your best bet might be to try to get it through a library. The Amazon link below has the title and ISBN info.

This link has a lot of Cypripedium information:
http://ex-epsilon.slu.se/archive/00001453/01/Cypripedium,_R%C3%A4nnb%C3%A4ck_070126.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: ISBN info

Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 11:01PM
razorback33(z7)

The Brandywine River Museum, Chadds Ford, PA lists the book for sale. The info for ordering is on the link below.
Good luck!
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Brandywine River Museum

Bookmark   February 8, 2008 at 7:02PM
northeastwisc(4)

The Brandywine book is not the same book. It is a 1989 publication of a different conference. It's unlikely that Bill Steele is talking about the book offered by Brandywine. That doesn't mean that the Brandywine offering isn't worth having; but the book most often referred to in native orchid circles is the 1996 conference.

Bookmark   February 8, 2008 at 8:46PM
old_man_by_the_sea(Z8/9)

The book of the 96 proceedings also includes a CD, which I don't believe the earlier version had.
The Penn Hort Society(PHS) has a copy at their Phila Library, but I believe membership is required to check out their books. At one time, they extended library privileges to some plant society members, you might check.
Your local library may be able to request a loan of the Penn State Paterno Library copy or if you are near the campus, a vist could be productive.
Cheers!

Bookmark   February 9, 2008 at 1:40AM
More Discussions
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™