Newly-Gained Wisdom

leaveswave(.)August 30, 2006

What's something you learned (or re-learned!) this year about gardening that you'd like to share with the rest of us?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

One thing I learned is that Sluggo really is worth the outrageous price. I'm sure there are other things but I can't bring them to mind. Maybe reading other responses will remind me of some of them.

This is a great idea for a thread, Leaves!

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 9:58PM
windytown(4)

1. I always plant things too close together. I followed the label instructions (tomatoes this year) and they turned into an absolute jungle. i swear I need a machete to find the remaining red guys.

2. Canadian thistle is an absolute thug. We have a cornfield behind us that I know they sprayed. I guess the thistles decided my yard was a happy place. I don't like using chemicals, but I've about given up on this one.

3. My neighbor spraying stuff all over about did in my two-year-old red twig and grey dogwoods. The Winterberry also suffered. He has no Canadian thistles, however. He's probably cursing me.

4. Grasshoppers must love dry weather. They are EVERYWHERE and decimating my Dahilas before they break out of bud. I love the fact that mosquitos were hardly existant this year, however.

5. I re-learn this one every year. Summer goes too fast. Sob!

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 11:53PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Oh- yes you can- start too many seedlings!

Moisture loving plants really do need a moist place to live- Now I must learn how to make a mini bog like garden,,,,,,

Enjoy- this moment! Drink it in- let it fill you! This moment is a gift- revel in it. The people and places and sights and sounds- as well as the plants in your garden and the cycles they all go through- are all temporary. Allow these moments to pleasure you- fill your memories with pleasent thoughts...

Bookmark   August 31, 2006 at 7:23AM
More Discussions
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
Identify this plant please.
I found this plant at some one's home, outdoors. They...
ju1234
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™