suggestions for the front garden - pic included

jodikayAugust 3, 2010

Here is a picture of my front garden as you drive up to the house. I would like the garden to look good from all sides, even though I spend most of my time inside the garden or looking out at it from inside the house. I am looking for ideas/suggestions on how to hide/make, what I call the back side, look good. The plants for the most part sit lower than the top railing. It gets pretty much full sun except for right away in the morning. I lean towards the blues, purples, pink. I have been trying to use more foliage color and not relying on bloom color.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Zone 4, what I used to call zone 3. Thanks,

Jodi

Driving up to the house, picture taken today

Inside the garden, picture taken mid June

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rubybaby43(z4 MN/n. metro)

Wow! I can't make any suggestions because I think it looks great!! I'm not understanding what there is that needs hiding. It looks like you've got a few things in there that will fill in as time goes on. I think it's beautiful and well-maintained!

Kristy :)

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 12:57PM
hoghaven_duluthmn

I would put some low-growing "spillers" along the edge and some winter-interest plants, perhaps some taller conifers in the backgrounds.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 1:13PM
jodikay

Thanks for the comments. I hadn't thought about spillers, and I see now that vertical ht would be helpful.

I appreciate it!

Jodi

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 9:05AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I love what you've got already. I might get one or two of the pre-made iron trellis or archways to put over the paths and use them for annual climbing vines.

Martha

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Is this rose bush?
Hi, we had a rose bush (or two) among other bushes...
Mary_AnneTM
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™