Ceanothus americanus

hemnancy(z8 PNW)February 8, 2013

Has anyone grown Ceanothus americanus, which has herbal uses but mainly in the root, it's known as Red Root, but the leaves were used by the colonists as a tea substitute since it has a similar taste without the caffeine. I ordered one but am not quite sure where to plant it. I have a Ceanothus 'Victoria' in a sunny and dry location on a slope, which it seems to like since they do better without summer water, but I think C. americanus needs some water and perhaps better soil, so I don't know if it would be equally happy there, and if it requires more protection from deer, perhaps the leaves are not as small and leathery. I thought deer left C. 'Victoria' alone but I was looking at it and the outer small leaves seem to have been nibbled.

So, do you think I need deer protection (wire fencing), and has anyone tried it for tea from the leaves or the roots?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaliaman

i always put a piece of chicken wire over a plant deer like till it becomes well established, when young they need all the leaf surface they can produce. have never made a tea of the roots but make a tincture from the root for medicinal uses, its a lymphatic fluid mover and cleanser, helps stimulate immunity, a valuable medicinal botanical.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
native plant sales for MD
First, a big thank-you to everyone who responded to...
charmed
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
A couple beautiful natives
Any idea of what these are? I think the star is a...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™