what plant was she talking about?

treelover(z8b SoCtrlTX)March 29, 2007

I was walking in the woods the other day with an herbalist who pointed out some small yellow flowers (maybe 1" across) growing about 6" high, that she referred to as amaryllis. They didn't look anything like the garden amaryllis that I'm familiar with. She asked if I had any and when I told her that my amaryllis were a lot bigger she looked at me like I was crazy. I wasn't able to get close enough to these wild plants to see if they had the same form.

I've done a Google search on 'amaryllis' and haven't turned up anything that looked like them. Any idea what they might have been?

Tia!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

I believe she was referring to the plant as a member of the Amaryllis Family (Amaryllidaceae), which includes about 14 Genera, including the common Daffodil & Jonquil (Narcissus).
Other common yellow-flowered members of the Family are Zephyranthes citrina, Sternbergia lutea, Lycoris aurea, and Nerine humilis, but most are fall flowering and none of these are native to Texas.
Another possibility could be Habranthus tubispathus, a/k/a Habranthus texanus, which usually prefers wetlands, but can be found in upland habitats.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants Profile - Habranthus tubispathus (texanus)

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 5:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treelover(z8b SoCtrlTX)

Must have been the Habranthus, then, since it was mid March and right in the center of Texas. They were at the side of a creek, too. Wish I'd gotten close enough to get a good look.

Thank you for the information. -- Carol

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™