Tomatoes taking over my counter! Have a good salsa recipe?

windytown(4)August 6, 2006

The heat of the last couple of weeks must've really given the tomatoes some good juju. I picked over ten pounds of the red guys today, mainly Early Girl and Beefmaster.

I'm kind of a salsa-making novice, so I'm looking for advice. Will Early Girl and Beefmaster work in a good salsa, or should I wait for more paste-type tomatoes like Romas?

Sure, I know there are a million recipes out there on the internet. I'd like to know what you do. :)

IMHO, Salsa Lisa (medium), made in St. Paul, is fantastic. If I could replicate that salsa, I'd be overjoyed. I doubt Lisa wants to share, though. LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rubybaby43(z4 MN/n. metro)

I have a recipe for black bean salsa that I think it awesome....but it's not a standard salsa recipe which you may be looking for. Let me know....I'm more than happy to post it.
Kristy :)

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 3:28PM
windytown(4)

Sounds yummy Kristy. I love anything with black beans - burritos, refried with lime and onions. Please post it!

I winged it a couple of nights ago after some internet research. My son and nephew declared my salsa delish.

I used about 14 pretty good sized tomatoes. Blanched, skinned and seeded them, then chopped into a pretty small dice. Drained the leftovers over a colander for the juice and added it to the mix. Added finely diced sweet onion, 1/4 cup olive oil, chopped cilantro, oregano and a splash of vinegar, lime juice, and a teensy tiny bit of sugar. Three finely diced fresh jalapenos were the cap, and a few minced garlic cloves.

Voila! It was great! Please tell me about the black bean salsa. I'm a foodie. Can you tell?

I'll be asking for eggplant recipes if the darned bugs don't stop consuming the tiny fruits. Bugmania abounds in my environs, especially the hungry hoppers.

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 12:54AM

Okay....your salsa sounds awesome!! I am drooling now!

This recipe I found at Allrecipes.com. It calls for a can of diced tomatoes which I sub for fresh chopped up tomatoes. It's forgiving so add as many as you want. Ditto on the jalapenos.

Spicy Bean Salsa
Makes 4 cups

1 (15 oz) can black-eyed peas
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (4 oz) can diced jalapeno peppers
1(14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions
In a medium bowl, combine black-eyed peans, black beans, corn, onion, green pepper, jalapeno, and tomatoes. Season with salad dressing and garlic salt; mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

P.S. I'm a foodie too!!!

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 10:31AM
windytown(4)

Thanks for the recipe Kristy! Now I'm the one drooling. LOL

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 11:11AM

You're welcome. If you make it I hope you enjoy it!

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Is this rose bush?
Hi, we had a rose bush (or two) among other bushes...
Mary_AnneTM
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™