How to keep star jasmine

joandaugh(Z5 Chicago)May 30, 2006

OK, I tried to find something on the forum about keeping a star jasmine in Zone 5, but no luck. I have a little one (about 2 feet) in a good size pot. I'd like to let it vine on my pergola, but I realize it can't winter outside. If I cut it off at the end of the season, will it grow long vines again in the spring? Or does it grow on previous growth only? Does that make sense at all? I just wonder if I let it go crazy now, snip it off and keep it in my greenhouse over the winter, if it will come back again next spring. Or would it be better to keep it "in the pot" and grow it on a form of some kind? If so, I wonder how big that form would need to be . . . I read that it's basically evergreen in the proper climate. I saw pictures this weekend of vines taking over houses. I LOVE the smell and would love to keep it around as long as possible. Does anybody have one?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginkgonut(4)

I have kept some for two winters in the basement under lights. This past fall they both survived 19 degrees outside in their pots. They dropped all their leaves when I brought them inside and grew them back in the basement. Now they look great and are blooming. I think they are very forgiving plants. The nice thing is you don't have to run and "rescue" them before the first freeze because they will take it. I do cut them back a bit each year and they still bloom nicely. I have them trained up some bamboo poles and 20" or so diameter pots with other annuals around the bottom.

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 9:11PM
joandaugh(Z5 Chicago)

That's good to know about the cold. I was doing some reading and was surprised to see that zone (is it 7?) can go to 20 degrees. It's definitely worth trying, especially if they're resilient!

Bookmark   June 3, 2006 at 11:49PM
ginkgonut(4)

I knew the tops could take the cold, but the soil was at least partially frozen that morning. I didn't know if the roots would survive that. I guess they did.

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 9:21AM
iowgardenangel(zn5 IA)

how often do you water in winter then and how warm is your basement, i keep mine at 50 so my canna bulbs dont rot, i keep my banna tree in bathroom.

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 8:04PM
ginkgonut(4)

Sort of guessing here, but it is an unheated basement. I would say about 60 degrees. I water maybe twice a month. I keep them pretty dry. They do get a little shabby looking, but once I move them to a 3 season porch in early April or so they bounce back nicely.

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 10:26PM
iowgardenangel(zn5 IA)

wonder if i could save and over winter a hibiscus, in basement under lights??? nice to save some over if can, thanks for info on jasmine , i love it.. Dessa

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 1:59PM
smom40(5MO)

Well, I'm going to try to do it this year with two different potted jasmines. I had jasmine back home in CA in zone 9. I do know that you can hack the thing with aplomb and it bounces back.

However, the winter is another story. Going to try though. The ease of the fine, and it's smell is worth the attempt.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
Kansas City - here I come! (help pls.)
My husband and I are going to be moving to Kansas City...
aprilk
Too late to plant grass in Kansas city area?
I have several patches in my yard that need to be reseeded....
megs1082
Which tree to choose in front of house
The village removed a tree in front of my house, because...
Sandra858
Cukes and Dill
Good Morning! Does anyone have a good estimate of when...
PalmieJill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™