seed from unusual trees

nordbyc(zone 4)September 24, 2008

Looking for seed from trees that would push zone four in south western Minnesota. Know of a tree that has seed that is usually a resident of southern climates that is or will produce seed this fall. Have collection of Ginkgo, Hickory, and Redbud. I'm always on the lookout for trees in public areas (or willing private party) that make good candidates.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginkgonut(4)

If you ever get up to the cities, somewhere in the metro area are some bald cypress trees (Taxodium distichum) that I believe produce viable seed. I am not sure where they are, but I think someone on the forum does. They are on private property.

There is a Pseudolarix by the Lake Harriet rose garden that I have seen cones on. Being a lone tree, I am not sure if it produces viable seeds. There is also a huge Magnolia acuminata, while not really pushing zone 4, it is a tree that is rarely planted.

The Saint Paul campus of the UofM has some unusual trees scattered about. Again they may not all be pushing zone 4, they are rarely planted. Acer triflorum, Acer tegmentosum, Magnolia tripetala, Sophora japonicum, Pinus koreanis, Cornus mas to name a few.

Another worth looking for if you can find a local tree producing seed is tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), not actually a poplar. The UofM arboretum has some mature ones.

Bookmark   September 27, 2008 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™