Help with identification?

charmedMarch 13, 2012

Hello. I am trying to identify a very common little wildflower. It grows along streams and in wet places -- I live in Baltimore City and there is a lot of it along Herring Run. It is currently blooming. Yellow flowers with 4 sepals (I think!) 8 petals, numerous stamens, and I believe 8 pistils (these were hard to count, even with my hand lens.) Single flower to a stem, with leaves alternate. The leaves are a bit like small ivy leaves. Largest flower I've seen is about an inch across. I think it might be in the buttercup or rose family. I at first thought it was marsh marigold, but the pix I've looked at for that show 5 petals. I'm hoping that because it is so common, someone here might know what it is! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tepelus z6a SW MI

Would it be these?

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Aconite

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 8:39PM
mistascott(7A VA)

Did it look like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lesser Celandine

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 9:14PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Yellow flowers in wet locations early in the season usually says marsh marigold to me. But if it's not that, can you post a picture? That would help immensely with the ID!

FataMorgana

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 9:11AM
charmed

Thanks everyone! I can't post pix (just got a new digital camera, have yet to learn how to use it!) but with y'all's help I figured out that my mystery flower is, as mistascott suggested, lesser celandine. I was pleased to learn that it is also in the buttercup family, along with the marsh marigold, so I was at least headed in the right direction! Thanks again everyone!

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 8:29AM
mistascott(7A VA)

Glad I could help! I looked up Marsh Marigold in my wildflower ID book (National Audubon Society) and Lesser Celandine was listed as often being confused with it. The ivy-like leaves you described had me convinced it was Lesser Celandine.

Just in case you wanted more info, here is what my book says on Lesser Celandine/Pilewort (Ranunculus ficaria): 5-10" height; glossy heart shaped leaves; Flowers March-May; Flowers 1-1.5" wide; 3-4 sepals; 8-10 petals; many pistils and stamens. Prefers lawns, shaded areas, streamsides, and moist undisturbed places.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 11:32AM
mistascott(7A VA)

Also, it is NOT native (European origin) and is considered an invasive groundcover in the U.S.

Here is a link that might be useful: More Info

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 11:46AM
growershower(Z7, MD)

I'm also in Baltimore City. Almost 99% sure you're talking about Lesser celandine (Ranunculus ficaria). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_celandine
It goes dormant after blooming, but lives as a bubil until the following Spring. VERY invasive in Baltimore City. Can easily choke out natives. It's easily dug up and separates from the soil readily. Roots are very shallow. Spraying poison on it is ineffective.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 5:47PM
Carrie B

Very hard to eradicate. A definite problem plant here in the mid-atlantic states.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
Elm scale
I planted a Princeton Elm in my front yard 2 years...
aew75
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™