clay soil-yellowish plant leaves

muddy_momMay 18, 2013

I have Indiana clay soil that hasnt been worked in years. I have added spagum moss, leaf mulch, compost, some blood and bone meal and sand( not masonry style). Worked it in about 18- 20 inches deep then let everything stand couple of weeks before planting.
My plants start off great, growing well then start to loose green color, getting a yellowish cast..
Am I lacking a nutrient needed for uptake?
Any ideas would help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

If you have alkaline clay soil, it could be that your plants are unable to take up iron. A soil pH test would be useful, in this situation. I use agricultural sulfur to lower soil pH in our blueberry beds. I prefer to base soil additions on test results, as opposed to guesswork. However, you could put down one tablespoon of agricultural sulfur around a few plants, and see if this improves the color of the leaves. It will take about a month for the sulfur to have much effect.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 9:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamoo2_5

I am also in IN up North & the soil by me has a ph of 7.
You have done the right amending for IN so you are good there. I hope you added some type of fertilizer. Say 12-12 12 or 10-10-10 or perhaps manure. I use 12-12-12 every spring & I am good to go. When I do notice a plant has some yellowing I first make sure I am giving the plants plenty of water if no rain. To help certain plants out I will spray them with a 1tsp of Kelp to a gallon of water. I spray just the foliage & not on a sunny day. I use powdered Kelp I get at the health food store since it is cheapest there.
The Kelp does turn the leaves green again & it also helps my plant multiply quickly even bulbs like Tulips or Dafs.
Other than some fertilizer/nitrogen you seem to have done everything right. Hope this helps. MaMoo

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
Year round outdoor containers for Chicago
I would like to know what plants, either flowers or...
rbpchicago
Need evergreen suggestions for planting bed
I really like the design of this evergreen bed. Does...
mememare
Ruby falls redbud
I just purchased a ruby falls red bud and I'm a zone...
greenygar
Flowering Orchid
I have a house plant that my mother had started and...
junefarmgirl
Sponsored Products
Joy Carpets Read the Word Kids Area Rug Multicolor - 1490-B
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Joy Carpets Hands Around the World Kids Area Rug Multicolor - 1488-C
$189.67 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Leaves Terracotta 2' 6" x 4' 6"
Home Depot
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Amare 72 in. Vanity in Glossy White with Glass
Home Depot
Progress Lighting Chandeliers Le Jardin Collection 6-Light Biscay Crackle
Home Depot