Can I plant now???

salem_girl(Zone 5a)May 4, 2005

Man, what a spring!

I have spinach, pea pods, leeks, onions, and some mesclun mix out there so far in and sprouted, but I'd like to plant the rest. I just picked up herb plants, pepper plants and brandywines from a friend of mine that had a sale at the local college nursery. I kill everything that is indoors usually. (This year I've killed eggplant and strawberries) Either I wait and plant seed in the garden when the time is right for that veggie or get plants (tomato and pepper usually) in May. For some reason I only do well planting in the ground so I don't want to keep these little guys out longer than they have to be.

I'm taking my plastic covers back off the raised bed when I get home today. It's been 29-32 at night the last couple nights. The "weather web" says I shouldn't see under 42 for the next 15 days after tonight and the day temps should be upper 60s to 70s. What thinkest thou?

I also have beans, zucchini, pumpkin and edamame seeds to plant. I was hoping to plant the rest together. Is it safe?

Thanks!

Salem_girl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
VMWOOD(z5IA)

We've had the same weather here in IA. Even though the weather is warming & the lows will be above freezing starting tonight it will take awhile for the soil temperature to warm up. Even though I moved plants back out of greenhouse to harden off today I won't put them into the ground yet for awhile.

Marv-Montezuma, IA

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Albums

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 7:11PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I went ahead and planted today. I've got a feeling that the sub freezing temps are behind us. The weather models show a good stretch of normal to above the next 7-10days, with ridging over the midwest/east and troughing over the West. I do agree that the soil was pretty chilly when i put my toms in. If the rain does come (which looks very likely this weekend, with temps nearing 80f) that should help. I usually plant on mothers day weekend, and our last avg frost date is may 10.

I didn't plant peppers yet, i'll wait on them.

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 2:03PM
salem_girl(Zone 5a)

Thanks. I moved them outside during the day and I'll pull them in at night. I do have a raised bed so I'm fairly sure I'll be okay, so I think I'll plant Sunday. I'm just a bit nervous. When I pulled off my covering from the cold days I had wilted leaves on the plants already in. Some are coming back, but 1/2 are gone. That just kills me. I still remember back in early April a know-it-all busybody telling me I should be planting until Mother's Day. It was spinach, leeks, onions and pea pods! Honestly I don't think they froze, I think I overheated them. Sigh...still learning.

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Columnar fastigiate screening tree recommendations
hello! I'm wondering if members have recommendations...
SchnooMom
Which tree to choose in front of house
The village removed a tree in front of my house, because...
Sandra858
Kansas City - here I come! (help pls.)
My husband and I are going to be moving to Kansas City...
aprilk
Ruby falls redbud
I just purchased a ruby falls red bud and I'm a zone...
greenygar
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™