starting a new garden in central illinois
We are starting out fresh at a new construction single family home. We had the yard seeded past week and its starting to come up slowly. We are in central illinois.
House is North-South oriented.
I am looking for recommendations on the following.
1) Ideal perennial flowering plants/shrubs
2) We love trees and would like fall colors. In addition to crab apples, maples, what else can we plant?
3) Recommendations on good quality nurseries to purchase trees
4) Ideal location for a vegetable garden. Recommendations on suitable vegetables for our climate
5) Anything else you can spare for an inexperienced gardener.
I am from a tropical wet & dry climate. Gardening in those areas is very simple and easy. Everything grows rapidly with sufficient availability of water. The only care I have experience is watering them every day.
Its my understanding trees are very slow growing here due to cold weather.
Thank you for all your time