root barrier for monarda?

joandaugh(Z5 Chicago)May 18, 2005

I have been dying to plant some bee balm/monarda in a corner of my yard that was kind of barren. Now this year, the pink bleeding heart that didn't come up so well last spring in the same corner is HUGE. I don't want to endanger it and I've heard monarda can be invasive. Last year the bleeding heart turned yellow pretty soon after blooming out, so I was hoping to put in something that would bloom later in the season to fill the hole. Would monarda be OK if I put it in a barrier (and how far down would that have to go?), or should I try something else--suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tadeusz5(z5 il)

Yes Joan; Monarda Fistulosa can be invasive; but I found that you can just yank those out and still have some for bloom, of course you can put a barrier around that and be in great shape as far as pulling out the plants. Try Indian
Blanket for color and late blooming, and another couple of Prairie plants; Purple coneflower, gray headed coneflower. this way at least the "Gold Finches" would visit your garden in fall/winter for the seeds of those plants ,and the Butterflies in summer for nectar .

Enjoy.

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 8:15PM
butterbeanbaby(z5 MO)

Monarda is easy to yank. It tends to be really shallow rooted as well, so if you did want to put in a barrier, I imagine a few inches would suffice.

Question about the bleeding heart... are you keeping it watered all season? I find that if I let nature take its course mine yellows and dies back, but if I keep watering regularly it stays nice and green. Just wondering.

Holly

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 10:42AM
joandaugh(Z5 Chicago)

Last year, the bleeding heart yellowed pretty quickly and I eventually cut it back. It was my first spring with the new yard so I kind of let things go to see what was what. I hadn't watered it much. I think this spring is cooler overall so far. I still haven't watered much but the bleeding heart is going like crazy, and very green. There is also a purple coneflower in this little corner so I think I'd better put the monarda somewhere else. It's good to know you can just pull the new plants out easily. Now where to put it . . .

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Columnar fastigiate screening tree recommendations
hello! I'm wondering if members have recommendations...
SchnooMom
Good source for cold hardy Bald Cypress?
I've read Bald Cypress is capable of growing in the...
Pontederia
Ruby falls redbud
I just purchased a ruby falls red bud and I'm a zone...
greenygar
Mystery Perennial blooming now in KC
I don't often see a perennial blooming this late in...
slimwhitman
Volunteer plants from annuals not hardy to zone
I posted in the impatiens forum about my shock of finding...
fieldofflowers
Sponsored Products
STERLING Plumbing Finesse 59-5/8 in. x 58-1/16 in. Frameless Sliding Tub/Shower
Home Depot
Area Rug: Crochet Ivory 5' x 7' Wool
$99.00 | Home Depot
American Drew Tribecca 3 Piece Coffee Table Set in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores
Modern Fan Company | Ball Ceiling Fan
$316.00 | YLighting
Denby Cherry Cast Iron Oval Casserole - CIC-583
$186.00 | Hayneedle