Can someone ID this wildflower?

hoorayfororganicMarch 23, 2007

Was in eastern MA in a sunny area

Unfortunately I only have a picture of the flower. But it's pretty amazing. I think there were 3 flowers to a plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachelneil

Well my dear that's a wild tiger lily!
the flowers ,seeds and bulbs have all been used as food. Although the bulbs have a strong, bitter, peppery flavor, they were very popular among native people.
they were generally cooked and eaten with other foods, such as venison, fish and saskatoons, as a flavoring and thickening agent for stews.
Some tribes also ate lily bulbs fresh or dried dried them for winter storage.
Usually, lily bulbs were boiled in 2 changes of water or steamed in fire pits. cooked bulbs were also dried for winter use,either singly or mashed and formed into thin cakes. The flwoers have been used in salads and are said to be delicious as well as beautiful
northern native peoples used wood lily roots to make medicinal teas that were taken to treat stomach disorders, coughs, tuberculosis, and fevers and to help women in labor deliver the afterbirth. These teas were also used as a wash for swellings, bruises, wounds and sores.
the flowers and the root tea were used in poultices for treating spider bits.

Warning: lilies are selcom plentiful, and when they are picked or mowed, all of the leaves are removed with the stalk and the plant dies. Digging, mowing and over-picking have resulted in the near extinction of this beautiful wildflower in many populated areas.

this info is found in edible & medicinal plants of the rockies.

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 3:40PM
hoorayfororganic

damn i hope it doesn't go extinct or something. ive only seen 1 in my life. i never see these things around my woods

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 3:48PM
rachelneil

I havent' seen them around a lot either, but there is a lot of the cultivated type!

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 4:34PM
davidl_ny5

Don't know what people mean by "tiger lily," but I'm pretty sure what you've got there is a Wood Lily, Lilium philadelphicum. The flower was upright, not drooping, right? And not real tall? Also, I think the flower petals, separated at their bases as they are, are characteristic of this species. The spotting is variable, as a google image search will show. The picture in the link below looks a lot like yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Lily

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 4:58PM
davidl_ny5

Here's a Connecticut specimen that looks even a little more like yours. About 1 to 3 feet tall, right?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Lily

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 5:28PM
hoorayfororganic

I think it was 1 foot tall, no more than that, and not bent, just straight up pretty much

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 6:34PM
hoorayfororganic

I think it was 1 foot tall, no more than that, and not bent, just straight up pretty much

looks like it's some kind of wood lily, i suppose!

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 6:35PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

In central PA Wood Lily - Lilium philadelphicum - blooms in summer. Are your photos recently taken?

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 2:49PM
hoorayfororganic

this photo was a couple years ago during the height of summer

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
Trillium project
Hello all - Here is a picture of some of the trillium...
jebfarm
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™