Can we talk? Chicago area nurseries - your favorites

DLM2000May 29, 2008

Wondering what your favorite places are with good selection, healthy stock, reasonable prices and any other criteria you deem important. It used to be fun wandering around looking but not anymore at $415+/gal ! I'd like to break out of my usual/habitual (and overpriced) places (Pasquesi, Chalet, Anton's in HP not Evanston) and try some of your suggestions. Anyone have hidden gems to share or well known tried and true? Lurvey's was mentioned on another thread, any others? Is anyone familiar with Hibbard Road Gardens - worthwile?

I'm north, in Highland Park, so don't want to go to Orland Park or Villa Park even though they may have wonderful plant places. Maybe someday when I have my hydro-car ;-)

Has there ever been a post with people listing their favorite places? Would that be useful?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushi_deluxe(z5 Chicagoland)

I browse at Chalet in Wilmette and occasionally shop at Red's (on Dundee Road in Northbrook between Landwehr and Sanders) and Lurvey's (on Dempster), but my favorite garden center is Pesche's on Des Plaines River Road, just south of Golf Road, in Des Plaines.

And judging by my Mastercard bill, they probably like me too this spring!

Rachel

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 10:18AM
gonativegal(zone 5a)

There's more places to choose from then those living in the city but agree that many of them, while high quality, are high end.

If he's still there try Frankie's Garden Center at the interesection of Dempster and Dodge in Evanston. He was where the old Frank's Nursery and Crafts was. To be honest, I haven't stopped by in a couple of seasons so not sure if he's still there but the prices and plants were good. But Anton's (on Fowler I got it right this time) is just down the street from that intersection. Their prices are fair and the plants are huge.

Lurvery's is your next closest bet or maybe a garden club sale.

All these private garden centers are having a hard time competing again the box stores so there's (I think) less of them then there used to be and the ones that have survived offer superior plants and customer service but at premium prices typically.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 8:06PM
DLM2000

Thanks sushi and gonativegal for the suggestions. Red's is certainly easy to get to - I always forget about them. Lurvey's is on my list for tomorrow and maybe I can swing by the Evanston Anton's after that - I still wonder if they are connected to the Anton's in Highland Park.

Good point about the competition from the box stores, but they have such a limited selection that I'm sure at least some of the private ones will survive. You ask most employees at HD or Lowes for a specific plant and they look at you crosseyed!

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Year round outdoor containers for Chicago
I would like to know what plants, either flowers or...
rbpchicago
Which tree to choose in front of house
The village removed a tree in front of my house, because...
Sandra858
Detroit Area Gardeners?
Hi, This gardening season I'm going to be moving to...
rachels_haven
Cukes and Dill
Good Morning! Does anyone have a good estimate of when...
PalmieJill
Transplanting peonies, hydrangea now?
I would like to move some peonies and plant one hydrangea....
dan_in_winfield
Sponsored Products
10'x14' 100% Wool Denim Blue Silver Wash Samarkand Handmade Oriental Rug Sh20480
1800 Get A Rug
Set of Two Battery Operated Window Candles
Grandin Road
Madison Park Abigail 7-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Sasha Bronze Halogen Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Honey Glass
$247.50 | Bellacor
Indoor Area Rug: Transitional Blue Rectangle 7' 9" X 9' 9" Plush
Home Depot
Avanity Brooks 60" Double Bathroom Vanity - Chilled Gray
Modern Bathroom
Around Town Crystal and Black 15" Wide Pendant Chandelier