When to transplant hostas please

tradewind_64(4a)September 11, 2005

This weekend I removed two trees and now the seven hostas underneath need to go too. They are quite large. I have never moved hostas before, and wonder when is the best time to transplant them here in the Twin Cities? They are in full sun now, and besides next year a patio is going to go where they currently reside, so those babies gotta find a new nursery. Advice/tips on their move is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dentaybow(Z3A MN)

You can move them now. I am sure some folks will tell you to wait until spring....but Hostas are incredibly tough plants. I have moved them and/or planted bare root in late October midst flying snow. Didn't phase them a bit. Came back in the spring with flying colors.

You actually lucked out with your question. There is a recent post on the Hosta forum with pictures and step-by-step instructions on how to move large hostas. Excellent info. See the link below.

If you are going to be dividing, here is another pictorial and a step-by-step 'How to' http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0923132429508.html?12

Make sure you keep the new transplants very well watered as late into the fall as possible.
Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: moving a large hosta

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 7:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tradewind_64(4a)

OMG, that link to which you sent me is AWESOME. I cannot thank you enough for providing me with that post. YAY. Way too cool.

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Identify this plant please.
I found this plant at some one's home, outdoors. They...
ju1234
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™