Looking for Geum Triflorum seed info AKA 'Prairie Smoke'

trowelgal(Kansas Zone 5)March 7, 2010

Hi,

I have been trying to find seeds for this unique plant and did find some. A packet of 50 seeds was $2, not bad, but the shipping of that packet was $5! Does anyone have a more reasonable source? Oh yes, I also found the bareroot plants but the shipping on those light weight babies was $12.50. I would appreciate hearing from you if you have sources. Thanks in advance.

Tina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darwingardener(z4 ND)

I just got two packets of seeds from Specialty Perennials in Apple Valley MN - shipping cost was $2.75 total. Website is www.hardyplants.com.
You might also search at IonExchange www.ionxchange.com and Prairie Moon Nursery prairiemoonnursery.com for prices on seeds/bareroot plants/plugs and shipping costs for each.

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 11:43PM
trowelgal(Kansas Zone 5)

Thank you so much for these sources. I will be ordering the seeds.
Tina

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 11:27PM
trowelgal(Kansas Zone 5)

Hello darwingardener,
I sent you an e-mail but it was returned. I will be looking at Target and again at my favorite nursery this weekend for the Geum Triflorum seeds in hopes I can find them in town. We are getting green grass here, everyone is so excited as we have had a beastly winter. We all know spring is a ways off but it still makes the spirit soar to see the earth awakening from its winter sleep.
Tina

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 8:53AM
topie

I looked at the seed selection at the "big box store with the red bulls eye" the other day, and they don't seem to carry a lot of native seeds, but the one in your area may have them, you never know. I know you can get the seeds for Prairie Smoke/Geum triflorum at Prairie Moon nursery (see link below).

Prairie Moon gives the Geum triflorum seed a code "C" with a number 60, which means the seeds likely needs cold, moist stratification for at least 60 days/2 months before the seeds will germinate. It may be a little late even in Zone 5 to stratify them outside, it depends on how warm it is there in Kansas now. But you can always stratify them in your refrigerator.

Prairie Moon also sells them as potted plants:
http://www.prairiemoon.com/plants/potted-plants/wildflowers-forbs/geum-triflorum-prairie-smoke/

I think you get 38 cells for $96. Not sure if you can order fewer than 38, but it's worth a call or email to check I suppose.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Moon: Geum triflorum (Prairie Smoke)

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
Agalinis auriculata and other imperiled species for your garden
Has any of you tried to introduce a locally imperiled/endangered...
WoodsTea 6a MO
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Is this a native/what is this?
This spring-blooming, 1-2" tall bed of flowers:...
gribbleton
Sponsored Products
Holman Bell Metal Bronze Four-Light Wall Bath Vanity with Satin Etched Glass
$74.60 | Bellacor
Justice Design Group POR-8921 - Modular 1 Light Wall Sconce - Round Flared Shade
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Greens Narrow Zig Zag Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Dorel Asia Sleigh Back Wood Headboard with Nailheads
Overstock.com
Elm Side Table
$114.99 | Dot & Bo
Desk Lamps: Callahan 28 in. Bronze Heritage Desk Lamp 20994BH
Home Depot
Wood Molding & Trim: Home Legend Building Materials Tobacco Canyon Acacia 1/2
$34.78 | Home Depot
52" Minka Aire Wave Silver Ceiling Fan