Row cover for roses?

jenswrensSeptember 30, 2006

Has anyone ever used row cover as a winter protection for roses? I have a long bed of landscape roses that are only about 1 foot tall, and I'm trying to decide how best to cover them this winter. There are about 12 bushes. Since I'm trying to get them to throw long canes and fill in the whole area, I'd rather not cover them all separately. Would a row cover work? Has anyone done this or is it not substantial enough for a MN winter? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
selkie_b(z4 MN)

Most importantly - and I'd presume they are - are they hardy roses? Zone 4 or lower? Basically you have three options if they are:
1. Bury them in leaves or hay after the ground starts to seriously freeze
2. Bury them in leaves or hay after the ground starts to seriously freeze THEN cover them with row covers to keep the leaves in place.
3. Do nothing. If they are really hardy, and you planted early in spring they should be mostly fine especially if we get snow.

Best possible thing will be if we get a good deep early-ish snowfally, then you put the leaves OVER that - best insulator. Just covering them won't insulate the roots which is what you need to achieve- holding the temp just at freezing so they stay dormant but don't die. I have one zone 6 rose that I literally bury in compost, then deeply in leaves, then put chicken wire over to keep them in place. I have to cross my fingers every spring (it was from my dad, it's a special rose and very rare now) that I got it deep enough.

If they are NOT particularly hardy roses - your best option is #2.

-Marie

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
red wiglers in MN?
Id like to find some redwiglers as close as possible...
zymguy
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
Tips for Growing beets?
I've tried growing beets for 3 years now, every year...
srj19
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Sponsored Products
Bellosguardo Striped King Blanket - BROWN STRIPES (KING)
$229.90 | Horchow
Colonial Mills Valencia Walnut Birch 4 ft. x 6 ft. Braided Area Rug VL24R048X072
Home Depot
Avia 10 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Light Blue
$1,899.00 | LexMod
Ellington Outdoor Ottoman Cover - Sand
$89.50 | FRONTGATE
Pink & White Covered Box
$12.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Origami Wallpaper
Serena & Lily
Polaris P2091VW Porcelain Vessel Sink White
PLFixtures
Couristan Cadence Moonlight Sonata Area Rug - 51400090020311T