Row cover for roses?

jenswrensSeptember 30, 2006

Has anyone ever used row cover as a winter protection for roses? I have a long bed of landscape roses that are only about 1 foot tall, and I'm trying to decide how best to cover them this winter. There are about 12 bushes. Since I'm trying to get them to throw long canes and fill in the whole area, I'd rather not cover them all separately. Would a row cover work? Has anyone done this or is it not substantial enough for a MN winter? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
selkie_b(z4 MN)

Most importantly - and I'd presume they are - are they hardy roses? Zone 4 or lower? Basically you have three options if they are:
1. Bury them in leaves or hay after the ground starts to seriously freeze
2. Bury them in leaves or hay after the ground starts to seriously freeze THEN cover them with row covers to keep the leaves in place.
3. Do nothing. If they are really hardy, and you planted early in spring they should be mostly fine especially if we get snow.

Best possible thing will be if we get a good deep early-ish snowfally, then you put the leaves OVER that - best insulator. Just covering them won't insulate the roots which is what you need to achieve- holding the temp just at freezing so they stay dormant but don't die. I have one zone 6 rose that I literally bury in compost, then deeply in leaves, then put chicken wire over to keep them in place. I have to cross my fingers every spring (it was from my dad, it's a special rose and very rare now) that I got it deep enough.

If they are NOT particularly hardy roses - your best option is #2.

-Marie

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™