Aunt Bee's Wiseria

posieh(3)September 25, 2011

Planted Aunt Bee's Wisteria abou three years ago and it has done well, only give it snow cover in the winter. But so far, no blooms. Wondering how long before it might bloom?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kms4me

Actually it is 'Aunt Dee'. While it is listed hardy here, I have only seen it in bloom in two people's gardens in my neck of the woods, in both instances it was planted on a wall or foundation and got a lot of early warmth. We bought ours about 20 years ago, in bloom, and have never had it bloom since, despite battling it's growth ever since. It can easily grow 20 feet or more in a season, but sadly rarely blooms.

'Blue Moon' is a much better choice in general for zone 4. Hopefully someone else can give you a better prognosis.

A good friend and gardening neighbor bought a plant marked high on the vine as 'Aunt Dee' and was thrilled to have it bloom, but after digging deep into the rootball, we found a buried tag listing it as 'Blue Moon' and it looked identical to ours, so there may be some confusion in the trade.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 2:57AM
ginkgonut(4)

I had one in Minneapolis, sparsely bloomed if it bloomed at all.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 6:53AM
posieh(3)

Thanks for the info. Yes, it is Aunt Dee's. I think I got it at Linder's. The info I read said that a nursery in Edina? ....has had it for years and I think they said that it bloomed. I could be mistaken.....

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 7:35PM
zonepusher_z4(4)

Planted "Aunt Dee" at my daughter's house in Minneapolis, has only had one flower after about 6 years but, she does not like to prune it back. I planted "Blue Moon" at my house, it started blooming in its' 3rd year, I planted it on a "T" shaped clothesline post but, I prune back all the long summer growth to about 6 buds in late summer and then prune back same to 3 or 4 buds in early Spring around April 10th, I've heard this helps create blooming spurs.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
Identify this plant please.
I found this plant at some one's home, outdoors. They...
ju1234
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™