Is it to late?

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)September 5, 2006

I am wondering if it is to late in the year to try to propagate some red-twigged dogwoods? I have a couple growing, and would like to take cuttings, get them started and plant them. I meant to do this in July, but life interfered with my plans.

Jenny P

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

I am no expert at hard wood cuttings- but I have tried several attempts at it and have found it is sooooo much easier with a greater sucess rate to do this in the early spring.
What you could do now is gather seeds if there are any and Winter Sow. I have started many new dogwoods this way.
You never know if you can do a thing if you don't try though-
Julie

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 7:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)

Thanks Julie, I might just try the WS thing. I will have to see if there are seeds on the bush I was going to take cuttings from. Although I think larger cuttings would do better in the spot I am looking to put these into. We have a row of bushes between the house and a gravel road. This row is mostly European Buckthorn, which I HATE! I am slowly cutting them out, and need to replace them with something. It is a long row too! So I am trying to get some variety of different trees and shrubs into it.

JEnny P

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™