Cannas

snickers_gardenerSeptember 6, 2006

Can anybody tell me when and what I should do with my cannas now that fall is upon us???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adamterrie(4)

This is my first year with canna lilies as well (thank you julie_mn - I believe I got a plant from you this spring at the plant swap at Rick's). I believe the following is true (someone please correct me if I am wrong):

Enjoy them for another month or so. . . Then after the first light frost, dig up the tubers and store them in a cool dark/dry location for the winter. Re-plant the tubers next spring either directly outside or give them an early start indoors. . .

- Adam

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 5:59PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Hey there-
That is about it in a nutshell. Adam- so glad you enjoyed!
I will wait till a frost that damages the tops- with clear skies predicted for a day of two afterwards. I then dig them up trying not to damage the main tuber. I don't knock off too much of the soil just then as I want it to protect the root ball while the plant heals from where I cut the top off of the tuber about 2" off of the ball of dirt or tuber. I leave them to lay in the sun to dry and heal a day or two- sometimes you may need to protect them from a heavy frost with a blanket- or by hauling them in a shed at night- and then I knock off the dirt- let them dry a bit more- pop them into a paper grocerie bag and bring them to a cold corner of the basement. I will chek them about once a month to be sure there is no rot- or severe drying going on throughout the winter.
I do know of people who have let their cannas grow on in pots indoors through the winter as well.
In the spring- I will break apart the bulbs if desired, making sure there is an 'eye' to each peice and then either pot up or after last frost- plant out.
I lift dahlias in much the same way- but I will rinse off all of the soil and dip them into a sulfer bath and keep then in plastic bags. The dahlia forum has many great ways to keep these over- but I have had minimal success with dahlias till I did the sulfer dip.
If your cannas flowered and made seeds- it is fun to germinate these indoors in the winter as well! You must nick the seed- I find a file works well- or my dremmel if I can get a safe grip on them- and then put them into dirt in a WARM place- they do need the warmth to grow- and give them plenty of light till you can plant out-

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 6:58AM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

I got nice plants, Julie, and I presume they'll bloom for me next year - they are VERY strong! I'm going to treat them and store them with my begonia corms in the bag of sawdust (with a bit of stray sulpher powder in it) I keep in my upstairs clothes closet. It's too warm in our basement :) but that closet is of course unheated, but never freezes because of circulating air under it's door from our bedroom. Lemme tell ya, grabbing a shirt or skirt out of there in winter is BRACING! *laugh*

-Marie

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 12:28PM
snickers_gardener

Thank you so much for the tips! Can you tell me more about the sulfer bath? I do have some dahlias also.

Bookmark   September 11, 2006 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
Kelley Farm seed exchange free 3/8/15
Kelley Farm between Elk River and Ramsey will have...
little_minnie
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Sponsored Products
Black Knight Canna Root - Set of Five
$15.99 | zulily
Tropical Garden 17-Bulb Set
$19.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™