Help with ID

kiendu(WIS z4)July 3, 2012

I'm not sure what this is!! I know it's one I purchased in the past couple of years... I was thinking BobbiSue, because I know I bought one, but don't know what happened to it. But it doesn't look the library pics of BobbiSue... WISH IT DID!! It's probably a little over 2 ft tall by 3 ft in diameter.

Any ideas?

I'd really appreciate your help.. been looking thru the library, but when you don't know what letter to start with...

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Why do you think it's not Bobby Sue? Do you have pictures of the flowers? Remember that it takes 5 or 6 years for a Hosta to become fully mature and a young plant doesn't look exactly like a mature plant. However, you can probably rule Bobbie Sue either in or out by looking at the flowers. The picture of those flowers on the Library page are pretty distinctive.

Steve

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 6:09PM
melati(5)

maybe it's Antioch if it start out with yellow edge.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 1:34AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i thought antioch also.. or one of the dozen other versions with names ..

bobby sue is tom schmids wife.. a clarence owens plant.. and if i am not mistaken ... fragrant.. and not that steel gray-green ... and i dont think it was ever widely in the trade .. meaning no bigboxstore type thing ...

it sure makes me think a montana/fortunei heritage.. with those long leaves ....

ken

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 8:15AM
loujak

Could it be Alligator Shoes...is very much like mine?

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 9:52AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

It's not Alligator Shoes. But the leaf shape is similar so it probably does have some montana in its background.

Steve

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 10:03AM
bkay2000

Neat Flowers on Bobbie Sue.

bkay

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 7:01PM
kiendu(WIS z4)

Thanks for your help... I'm going to check the flowers tonight when I get home from work! And, it could be Antioch... that name sounds familiar to me too.

I'd purchased Bobby Sue from a hosta collector in Eau Claire WI. He had a garden walk, hosta sale, 3-4 years ago, and I know I'd purchased Bobby Sue from him. He kinda talked me into it, telling me it was one of his favs.

I'd purchased many from Bentley Gardens on the internet quite a few years ago... probably 30-35... and Antioch could of been on that list too.

I'll check the flowers tonight!

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
Hosta Tiara 2014
Question: There is an ancient invention still used...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
halcyon vs bl wedgwood smackdown
did it work? halcyon blue wedgwood H as the typical...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™