Dying trees

paschalJune 17, 2006

I live in Chicago, and have 3 trees that are dying this year. I have asked around, and except for last years drought, no-one has any ideas. We have several trees about the same age that are doing great, including a dwarf peach, river birch, blue spruce, dogwood etc. The problem is with the Nishiki willow, the corkscrew willow, and a dwarf Northstar cherry. Both willows have severe die back, and the cherry started to fruit and then shriveled and has almost completely died. All receive identical care, i.e. fertilizer, water, etc. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
perkladd(z5 IL)

Well, I too had an ornamental cherry die (Hally Jolivette). It was beautiful this spring, blossomed incredibly and the next week ALL the leaves were brown, crisp and shriveled. I am stumped and sad.

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 2:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tinamcg(Z5b Kansas City)

You can bet your life it's last year's drought. Last year, the arborists were saying the longterm effects of a drought like 2005 would be pretty terrible, and we're beginning to see problems here, too. One of our Austrian pines looks terrible, in spite of my best efforts to keep it watered last year. The thing that really scares me is that stressed trees invite disease organisms, and the Chicago area is FULL of stressed trees.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Mystery Perennial blooming now in KC
I don't often see a perennial blooming this late in...
slimwhitman
looking for strong fragrance in garden
I am in Chicago zone 5 and am looking to plant something...
both
Emergency transplanting advice
Dear fellow Midwesterners, I need your advice on the...
uchi_newbie
Kansas City - here I come! (help pls.)
My husband and I are going to be moving to Kansas City...
aprilk
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™