Tulip bulbs that Failed

longfellowmplsSeptember 10, 2013

Hi! I planted some tulip bulbs in a terraced bed- the bed facing sunny west last year. They did not sprout, but were still intact when I dug them up to plant my annuals in that area.

The soil is very very sandy, (water just runs through it). The bulbs in the same yard/area planted in the ground did better.

I would like to try tulips again this year. Should I plant deeper and water more thoroughly?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soilent_green

Always follow proper depth recommendations for any plant, bulb, seed, etc. Avoid experimenting with this, it is pointless.

I have found tulips to be one of the easiest most foolproof things to plant. I buy the cheapest bulbs bulk, on clearance at the big box stores, and always have very good success but they do not succeed in every location that I plant them.

If they did well for you in some areas and poorly in others, take that as a teaching tool and plant more this fall in the areas where they were successful.

If you really want them in that sandy area then dig the hole double-deep and fill the bottom half with compost. Place the bulbs on top of the compost and fill in remainder of hole with original soil.

I recommend when planting tulip, daffodil bulbs, etc. to put a little bit of peat and bone meal in each hole. Not my idea - I was taught to do this and it works. Don't know why and have never had the curiosity to find out the exact reasons. A little bit of low-nitrogen granular fertilizer works wonders as well. The tulips will reward you for your extra effort. :)

Wishing success,
-Tom

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
red wiglers in MN?
Id like to find some redwiglers as close as possible...
zymguy
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Tulip Red/Yellow 7 ft. 9 in. x 10
Home Depot
Tulip Black/ White Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
Veneto Luce Sonoma Double Wall Sconce by Justice Design Group
$342.00 | Lumens
Muted Gold Circle Dark Gold Tulip Table Lamp
$94.98 | Lamps Plus
A Night in the Theater in Paris Wall Art
$189.00 | FRONTGATE