Cimicifuga under black walnut

mosswitchMarch 12, 2010

Has anybody grown cimicifuga (bugbane) under a black walnut? I want to plant some in my woods but the area is dominated by a huge black walnut tree, and I don't want to make the investment on a plant just for an experiment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
topie

I haven't seen any Cimicifuga/Actaea racemosa growing under the black walnuts that grow on the land we live on, but that doesn't necessarily mean the cimicifuga isn't juglone-tolerant.

The University of Missouri College of Agriculture apparently did a study on Cimicifuga/Actaea racemosa growing in proximity to black walnut trees. You could try contacting them and finding out what the results were. See the link below for a description of the study. It's listed under "Experiment 3: Evaluating the suitability of black cohosh as an understory agroforestry intercrop with black walnut" on the page linked below. Their contact info is also on that page in the column on the left.

Of course, someone else that has planted cimicifuga under black walnuts, or seen it growing there may know better than I! Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Missouri: Actaea racemosa

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 12:12AM
mosswitch

I emailed UMC but no response. I do know somebody who works there, maybe he can find out for me. But from previous posts here, I think I will be pretty safe. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 5:21PM
NENativelandscapes_verizon_net

ignorant of the potential effects, I planted a number of Cimicifuga americana under the drip zone and leaf canopy of a black walnut. I have never removed the leaves or husks from this garden. 4 years later the plants are still growing strong along with goatsbeard, mayapple, solomon's seal, carrion flower, and starflower. I have lost mountain laurel and white pine in the vicinity.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 7:07AM
mosswitch

Since I started this thread, I planted a small cimicifuga under my old black walnut, and when it disappeared last July, I just decided it wouldn't work. But it seems that underground, things were happening, because this year it came up huge and beautiful. So I guess there is no problem!

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Elm scale
I planted a Princeton Elm in my front yard 2 years...
aew75
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™