What's biting me?

suzinnia(z4mn)September 4, 2006

I tend to get some sort of bug bite when I'm out and about in the thick of my gardens. Wondering if anyone would know what kind of critter is assaulting me. The bites tend to occur more when I'm wearing long pants. I feel nothing when the bite occurs. there is no pain or itching. the bites look as if someone took a pencil eraser and dipped it in rouge and touched it to my leg. They seem to occur on the front of my legs from just above the ankles almost up to the knee. there are sometimes 2 or 3 bites per gardening session and they just seem to last so long. look obnoxious to me. (I don't show off my knees to the general populace all that much anymore) Does anyone know who is finding me so tastey (earwigs .....? spiders....? ) Wondering if there is any sort of repellent that would help prevent the chomping of me. It doesn't seem to be biting flies....they go for the back of the ankles usually and don't correspond to the bite sites.

Suzy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynnsherbs(4 Minnesota)

I don't know what's after you - you're just too sweet!!! But, try picking a leaf of plantain out of the garden and rubbing it vigorously over the bite. I can almost guarantee that the itch will go away immediately.

Lynn

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 4:07PM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

No-see-ums

Nasty tiny little gnaty things that bite into your pores. They love me too :)

-Marie

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 8:52PM
suzinnia(z4mn)

There is no pain or itching at all involved with these bites. I have a co worker who gets chewed up by gnats at the golf course all of the time, and they seem to bite her more around the head. My attack sites are always on the legs. They only way I'd know I was bitten is to notice the darker rosey spot.
Lynn, you herbal wise woman, thanks for the pointer about plantain. I will try to file that away in the cockles of my grey matter. no shortage of plantain in my yard.
I was so sure there would be an entymologist in our midst...
Has anyone got any other natural anti bug agents to recommend. I thought I'd read that mint repels bug bites. rubbed some spearmint leaves on my ankles when I was getting bitten by those gosh darned whatever kind of flies and they seemed to leave me alone for about 4 1/2 minutes when I did. Am I just imagining that.....(getting delusional in my old age)?
thanks for the input guys.
suzy

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 7:44AM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

Suzi, they'll bite me anywhere they can get - often on the legs, but that's what they are in my yard at least :) They aren't even bothered much by DEET, sadly - I haven't found anything they won't ignore yet. Doesn't itch much, just hurts like heck when they bite you.

-Marie

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 12:30PM
lynnsherbs(4 Minnesota)

The stronger smelling mints, like pennyroyal, will most likely work. The lemon scented geraniums also, lemon balm, possibly thyme. I think Julie had an idea for a necklace or earrings that was made of clay, then essential oil was applied to it. Sounds great to me:) Something to experiment with!

Lynn

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
Is this rose bush?
Hi, we had a rose bush (or two) among other bushes...
Mary_AnneTM
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™