Blurb in My Community Newsletter

DonnaDelaware(7A)July 5, 2014

"Please check-out the beautiful flower bed on the path behind Grosvenor Ct and thank Donna Dorsey for her hard work, time and donation of this area. "Thanks, Donna.""

DD

This post was edited by DonnaDelaware on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 18:17

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_in_mn(4b)

Way to go Donna...nice to receive recognition for all your hard work.

Paul

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 6:06PM
hostahosta

Your hard work is truly appredciated. Spreading the hosta joy!

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 7:31PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Nice mention. It helps to be recognized occasionally for the community work you do.

I'm sure your community thanks you.

bk

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 7:40PM
Linda's Garden z6 Utah

Congrats! You did a beautiful job and I am sure many people enjoy it daily.

Linda

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 9:06PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Beautiful! Sadly so often volunteers get overlooked. Most people passing by enjoy the view, but never stop to think about the work involved...unless they are gardeners themselves.

Recently while out for our morning "power walk" we came across a woman who we see often on our same route. We've never spoken except for short comments about the weather, without breaking stride.This time she stopped and handed me a beautiful rose. She said she volunteers to tend the rose bushes at a local school and while pruning this stem broke. She just couldn't toss it, so when she saw a friendly, sort of familiar face, she was happy to hand it off.

Even as a gardener, I always thought that the rose bushes at the elementary school down the street were maintained by the school custodian. Now I know they wouldn't have those roses w/o this woman.

HOORAY for people like you Donna!

-Babka

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 9:09PM
mbug_gw

Good for you!

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 9:17PM
don_in_colorado

Great work, Donna, and deservedly recognized.

Don B.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 12:55AM
sandyslopes z5 n. UT

That's great! You've made a beautiful garden spot for all to enjoy. It must feel really good to know your efforts are appreciated.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 1:50AM
almosthooked

Good deeds are rewarding to do and to be recognized make them even more rewarding. Congratulations and it is very beautiful.
Faye

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 2:14AM
anniegolden(z7a)

Very beautiful, DD. That looks like Malaysian Monarch. The Munson's are unmistakable. Did you plant this area with divisions from your own yard?
Christine

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 6:27AM
mary4b(4b WI)

Your bed is very beautiful, very nicely done!

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 7:13AM
sandysoil_2008(6 MA)

Donna, great job! All the plants look happy to be there. It's always nice being appreciated.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 9:09AM
DonnaDelaware(7A)

I truly appreciate your kind words and support from this wonderful community of hosta lovers! "Hosta Island" was created years ago when walking paths were installed; and is approximately 40 ft from my front door. It became a dumping ground for my neighbor to plant, for instance, Rhododendron and a lilac bush in the shade and a lot of other carp - until he moved.

To say it has been a "labor" of love is an understatement - clay soil and tree roots to contend with. If I could did a hole, I planted a hosta. I'm still amazed that the three Fried Bananas that I originally planted have flourished.

Now days, I dig a hole as wide as I can, hack away the tree roots and mix the clay soil with miracle grow soil which works for me. The landscapers mulch the ground every year which is helping to amend the soil.

Yes Annie, the daylillies (my original love) are Malaysian Monarchs transplanted from my other gardens.

I was in my 60's when I started this project and I'm hoping to see Empress Wu grow into her full potential.

I have gained a wealth of knowledge from all of you, and it is a joy to view all of your beautiful photos.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!

DD

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 10:57AM
MadPlanter1 zone 5

Congratulations! Love the Malaysian Monarch.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 11:45AM
hostatakeover swMO(6a)

Awesome garden, Donna! So delighted you were given recognition for all your hard work. The garden is just beautiful and I can SO relate to what you go through for each hole. I thought I was the only one.

My primary Hosta bed is on a hillside of granite and hard red clay. The term "dig a $20 hole for a $5 plant" is an understatement, as I dig $200 holes for $20 plants. So worth it, though. :)

Babka, thanks for sharing that neat story about the older woman and the roses.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 1:43PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Donna, very pleased to see this public statement of WHO did the work, it was voluntary, and it is flourishing. Like I mentioned before, it is one of your credentials for taking on other similar projects. Keep the newsletter, and make it part of your presentation when you get ready to do another special garden spot for another neighborhood.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 2:00PM
chris-e(7 MD)

Donna, I haven't been here much in the last two years due to health problems, but I am still keeping up with my hostas.
I remember when you started the garden and posted pictures of the project and asked questions and opinions of the people here.I just happened to be lurking today and saw your post and picture. HOW BEAUTIFUL!!! You have done a wonderful job of creating a garden that anyone would be proud of! Pat yourself on the back for me!!

chris

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 11:38PM
DonnaDelaware(7A)

Chris - How nice that you remembered me. I hope that your health is improving daily; and that your able to tend to your hostas. Yes, me speaks a new language, When they say that's a great "sport", I know it isn't football.

DD

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™