*Through Clenched Teeth...*

selkie_b(z4 MN)September 11, 2006

There was this lovely little toad lily that a dear GW acquaintence gave me this spring at the swap. I watered it all summer, it was looking very good. I was excited - the lady who owned the house before us had planted some, but they never bloomed and have all disappeared over the past 5 years - so it was my first. It looked dandy still, dormant, but healthy, just yesterday.

I've just come in. There's now a carefully dug squirrel hole right there - and no lily.

Not amused.

-Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zenpotter(z4 MN)

That was not at all amusing.

Pauline

Bookmark   September 11, 2006 at 7:10PM
doucanoe

Oh, Marie, that's too bad! The squirrels and chipmunks are plentiful this year, I just noticed holes under our concrete. Time to get the live trap out and do some relocating.....

Linda

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 11:01AM
lazyweeder(z4 MN)

I feel your pain. I received some martagon lilies last fall from a friend. A rabbit topped them all off this spring so none of them bloomed for me this year. It ate those along with a number of hostas in that same garden. I no longer think bunnies are cute as portrayed by Thumper in Bambi. Elmer Fudd had it right those weasley wabbits. They're nasty little salad eatin machines!

I'm happy to report that Peter Cottontail is now fertilizing those martagons and will no longer be dining in my garden.

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Tips for Growing beets?
I've tried growing beets for 3 years now, every year...
srj19
Sharing this link - good cold zones only apple pollinations chart
Hello, Those of you up here in zone 4 know it can be...
timmytwo
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Kelley Farm seed exchange free 3/8/15
Kelley Farm between Elk River and Ramsey will have...
little_minnie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™