Anyone Hide an A/C Unit with Plants...in Shade?

ak0402June 15, 2006

I have tried unsuccessfully to camoflage my A/C unit that is in my back yard. I've tried four Yews, of different Yew varieties, and all died. First, the area is in full shade, which is probably great for the A/C unit itself. Second there is a tree a few feet away from the unit, providing the aforementioned shade, but also hogging the water from any plant that would attempt to grow there. Third, the A/C unit blows warm air out while it is running; I spaced the Yews a couple of feet away from the A/C, but they still got blown upon. Do any of you have plants that have camoflaged your A/C units, or should I just give up on the idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carterobrien(5, Chicago)

I have some ivy & wildflowers growing near mine that help, but not 100% camo.

what about a containerized plant, or conifer?

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 4:13PM
gw:have-dirt-will-plant

I hid mine a few years ago with a piece of white wooden fencing. I attached an "isolated" bed (large narrow window box) at the bottom, sunk the box in the ground, and used it for a small annuals bed.... the fence hid the unit and morning glory hid most of the fence. :)

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 9:16PM
lenten_rose(6a IL)

What's your budget?
I found an old wine case, removed the top shelves, installed a yardsale armillary on the top remaining shelf, and planted shade tolerant clematis and goldflame honeysuckleon on the outsideof it. Then, to the side, at an angle, added two flat trellises, with goldflame honeysuckle between them. Underneath, I set 'Rozanne' perennial geraniums, spring blooming bulbs, columbines, and geranium macrorhizum, 'Biokova', 'waterfall' campanula, mukdenia, and isotoma.

How deeply shaded is it? No matter what the site limitations are, you still have a large number of options.

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 1:42PM
doniki(z5/6 NE Ohio)

I have almost the exact same problem here... Mine is under a mature hemlock that I've limbed up a little and I've tried many different things, but so far I've had good luck with a clumping bamboo of all things... Fargesia nitida has done very well in the shade, though I do supplement water during the summer... Also I have to second the Ivy thing.. It too has done very well growing up a trellis on the opposite side of the A/C...

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 10:31AM
justaysam(Z5 Il)

Our last house had 3 or 4 burning bushes planted around the a/c unit, out about 2ft and it hid it great! I'm sure they were there awhile, it may take some time to grow in, but it worked.

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 11:17PM
webkat5(Z6a MO)

Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora' will bloom in full shade....just a thought.

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Cukes and Dill
Good Morning! Does anyone have a good estimate of when...
PalmieJill
Kansas City - here I come! (help pls.)
My husband and I are going to be moving to Kansas City...
aprilk
Detroit Area Gardeners?
Hi, This gardening season I'm going to be moving to...
rachels_haven
does Southern IL belong here
Please Help me find a forum!
organic_gardenhag
Sponsored Products
Yorkshire Mahogany Bronze Large Foyer Lantern
$650.00 | Bellacor
Virtu USA ES-2020-C-ES 20 Curtice Vanity Set in Espresso w/ Ceramic Sink T
$699.00 | Blue Bath
25 Inch Waterloo Premium 16 Gauge Stainless Steel Undermount or Drop In Single B
eModern Decor
Sabina 1-light Copper Bronze Table Lamps (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Moreau Wall Sconce by Hubbardton Forge
$410.00 | Lumens
Cosmic Rectangle Wall Mirror - 25.5W x 35.5H in. - TM-GD-8038-MIR
$272.99 | Hayneedle
Italian Brown and Black Vessel Sink
maestrobath
Hinkley Lighting | Aria Outdoor Pendant Light
$179.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™