Spring or Fall?

ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)September 21, 2006

For the past ten years we have not had much measurable snow. I live in the country and the winds blow through here like a freight train on a mission. Armed with this knowledge I do not cut down my foliage until Spring. I have had great success when following this Spring clean up regimen.

Last year I decided to try something new and cleaned my gardens up and cut all my foliage down in the Fall. It made Spring gardening EASY. However, I lost MANY plants. Now I realize, it was a very bad winter, dry, windy, very cold with temperature fluctions from -19°F to +70°F in a matter of days. I will be going back to my Spring clean up. I believe that if we do get any snow the standing foliage does hold in some snow creating a wonderful blanket of insulation.

I know people question my gardening wisdom with Fall clean up stating I will be harboring pests and disease. I've never had any problem with pests or diseases. I believe it is mainly due to our very cold weather that any of these pests and/or diseases simply do not survive through our winters.

What do all of you do and why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)

Hi
I am not sure where you are in ND, but I am only 6 miles from the ND border, in the NW corner of MN. Any way I am like you, I do not clean up until spring. I started doing it this way first because I didn't know any better. Second because I never had the time in the fall to do it!
I agree the last few winters have been milder. In fact I have some zone 5 plants that have been coming back unexpectedly 2 years in a row!

Jenny P

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 7:39PM
ginkgonut(4)

I am a spring cleanup guy for several reasons:

1. The remaining seedheads can be pretty and provide food for the birds. The Juncos seem to love the Liatris seeds and they are a hoot to watch.

2. I think it is easier. For instance, the Hosta foliage has usually dissolved and the daylilies come out with a quick tug.

3. I look forward to nice early spring days to start cleanup. I am not real motivated in the fall by the sea of brown.

With that said I would probably fall cleanup anything that had a disease over the summer.

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 7:47PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

I will clear out some that are notorious re-seeders, phlox, rudbeckia, perilla, and such- or some that mildew may be a problem with- peonies mostly- and cut back others like iris, siberian and bearded, monardas and some I just don't like to see all winter- to fans and stubble. I do like to leave some for the birds and mice- and for protection as well.
It does seem so much easier to remove dry husks/stalks in the spring with just a wave of the hand- then it is to cut each stalk with a pruner in the fall.

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 9:06PM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

Ditto absolutely everything that ginkgonut said :-) Although I do have to admit to some hollyhock cleanup this fall because they looked absolutely ugly for my neighbor to have to look at.

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 10:05PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I am a spring cleaner because
1. It provides food for the birds
2. I like the look
3. It helps to hold the snow in place to protect my plants
4. I love the surprises awaiting me when I do the clean up.
5. It is the first chance I get to get out there and work after a long winter.

Bookmark   September 22, 2006 at 8:03AM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

I'm a spring cleaner - except when it comes to pruning my roses a bit. I just kind of tame them back and do the major clean out on them in spring. I also will often get my wild asters cleaned out as that prevents them seeding even worse than they already do!

I have enough to do in fall - I have begonia corms, cannas, and herbs to bring in, all the sweaters to wash (*pats self on back* - that's done), jams and jellies to make, squash and beets to process, and more tomato sauce to make. Not to mention that knitting! UGH! And three+ fleeces to spin!

-Marie

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 11:07PM
leaveswave(.)

I leave everything up except for plants that experienced disease this past year, or are prone to disease or to harboring pests (this latter group includes mostly non-natives).

Everything else stays up for:

• winter interest

• feeding birds and little critters

• protection of butterflies and beneficial bugs (yes, some pest bugs are protected too)

• places for birds to find shelter

• crown protection of plants- the stems gather leaves and snow

• nest building material in the spring for birds and small wildlife

• following the example of Mother Nature, who must have some clue, eh? ;-)

• helps me see where the paths are when I'm tromping through the garden in the winter

• let's me get out in the garden and do something useful when it's too early to work soil

In reference to that last one, I like to make sure I get out early enough so I don't disturb any established nurseries. Since I don't grow my plants in authentic prairie-style, I do like to tidy up a bit. This may become less each year if I don't experience problems.

I don't cut down the prolific re-seeders. I like seeing where they try to migrate to, they make nice plant swap items, and I'd never get them all anyways.

Bookmark   September 25, 2006 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Sponsored Products
Westport Outdoor Sofa with Cushions and 2 Pillows, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Feather Stand Table Lamp
$89.99 | Dot & Bo
Pagoda blue/green placemats (set of 4)
Origin Crafts
Retro Spring Chair Cushion
Grandin Road
Nicolette Black Queen Bed - BLACK
$1,299.00 | Horchow
Great Falls Circle Rings Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Brown 96 x 50-Inch Blackout Curtain Panel Pair
$91.95 | Bellacor
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Black Umbrella Table Outdoor La
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™