green & gold: chrysogonum virginianum

mary4b(4b WI)June 13, 2005

Has anyone had success growing this ground cover in Wisconsin...I'm in the Appleton area. A True Value store has this and I'd like to get some, but I've never seen it growing anywhere here and I know that the woman who orders for this store sometimes doesn't get things that are quite hardy enough here. I think this may be hardy to zone 5 but not 4. I want something that's going to come back for sure, so I'd love to hear from others if they've had good luck with this in zone 4..or even 3!

The tag says it will do well in full sun to shade...any thoughts on that?

By the way, I know there are some specific cultivars of this, but my tag does not indicate anything beyond what I wrote in the subject of the posting.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apcohrs(z5 IL)

I grow it in Chicago area - it is knocked back after a hard winter, but we don't seem to be getting many of these anymore.

Plant it if you believe in global warming.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 8:07PM
mary4b(4b WI)

LOL, global warming has not been on my side so far. It seems that whenever I try to push a zone with a plant, I lose. Others are successful, but maybe I just don't understand my own garden's microclimates. Since it knocks back hard for you, I don't think I'll plant it. I'll have to search for something else unless someone up here has had years of success with it. Thank you!

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 11:13AM
gillespiegardens(Z6 cinti ohio)

dont feel too bad. i had the species 5 or 6 yrs ago and also the Allan Bush cultivar just last year...neither made it thru their first winter in my zone 6 gardens.
awfully cute little thing though.

Sue
"The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 12:27PM
Oswegian(Z5 IL)

If you're just looking for green & gold, well, we're Packer fans living in Bear country; but we have a groundcover sedum that's a pretty green with a little gold flower. It's blooming right now and has been very hard working in the three years we had it. And we got it from McKay's, in Wisconsin. They came down here and installed our whole landscape.

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Illinois seedlings help!
Hello this is my second year growing seeds indoors...
satami00
Transplanting peonies, hydrangea now?
I would like to move some peonies and plant one hydrangea....
dan_in_winfield
Mystery Perennial blooming now in KC
I don't often see a perennial blooming this late in...
slimwhitman
Emergency transplanting advice
Dear fellow Midwesterners, I need your advice on the...
uchi_newbie
clay soil-yellowish plant leaves
I have Indiana clay soil that hasnt been worked in...
muddy_mom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™