Did you get a storm?

Oswegian(Z5 IL)June 30, 2005

We have a NOAA alert radio, and about 4:40 a.m., the alert went off for a severe thunderstorm in northern Kendall county. Five minutes later I could hear the thunder, and then came strong winds and sheets of rain. It was the first time we've had rain in a month, I think.

Most of it literally flowed down the street and straight into the Fox River, but it does seem like we got a good amount in the ground. It's after noon, and the ground is still damp and dark. Woo hoo!!! No watering tonight!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourguys(z5 NIL)

Yes, we got the same one - with .5". Wonderful! We're north of the river farther, and most of it soaked in.

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 2:51PM
Oswegian(Z5 IL)

Thanks for reminding me to check my rain gauge. It looks like we got about a half inch, too. I had that rain gauge for several years, but just left it sitting in the garage. Guesstimating has worked ok in the past, but this year is sure different. I put it out there in the yard a few weeks ago, but then forgot about it till you said something...

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 12:36PM
Chitown33

I was in SE wisconsin the other night (Lake Geneva area) and it stormed and poured like there was no tomorrow. I have never seen such a huge storm. They must have gotten at least 1.5". Here, in the NW suburbs, we got 0.06".

Chitown

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 1:20AM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

All thunderstorm lines part to exclude Wauconda. I think we got a sprinkle out of this storm. Lots of thunder, not much rain..1/10 of 1 inch in the rain gauge. Sigh. April

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 8:18PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Lots of thunders, lightnings, and high wind but only a few drops of rain. Sigh. I am watering my trees only today, leaving other things dry. Sigh......

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 8:29PM
Oswegian(Z5 IL)

We got about 1/8 inch yesterday, according to my rain gauge, here in Kendall County. But I heard that DeKalb, McHenry and Lake got hammered! How much did you get?

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 10:52AM
taupe79(z5 Illinois)

.17 yesterday in Peoria county according to weather.com, but it sure seemed like more. Boy, was it ever welcome, too! :)

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 4:43PM
Oswegian(Z5 IL)

Ourguys, in Oswego, I tried to answer your email twice, but your address bounced both times. Sorry!

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 1:28AM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Hurrumph! :-( We only got a sprinkling on Sunday and Monday. Not enough for anything ....just to make cars look dirtier. The sidewalks under trees weren't even wet. Phooey!

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 8:20AM
ourguys(z5 NIL)

Oswegian - I emailed you and should have my member info correct now.

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
ID needed
These plants are growing wild in the alley behind my...
dellis326 (Danny)
Garden Soil Naperville area
Looking for a bulk supplier of "Garden Soil",...
prariegardner
Detroit Area Gardeners?
Hi, This gardening season I'm going to be moving to...
rachels_haven
Volunteer plants from annuals not hardy to zone
I posted in the impatiens forum about my shock of finding...
fieldofflowers
Illinois seedlings help!
Hello this is my second year growing seeds indoors...
satami00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™