Cheapest Mulch in Wheaton, IL area?

daninwinfield(5a)June 28, 2006

Does someone know who might have the best (deleivered) price on mulch? I live in Winfield, DuPage County. Next to Wheaton, IL

Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I am not sure how far you are from Palatine or whether you can find anything closer, but at Palatine Recycling Center on Smith & NW HWY, you can get mulch for free. Look for the great big blue water tower just west of NW HWY on Smith Rd. The mulch piles are just NE of the base of the water tower. Have fun. :-)

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 2:41PM
artdeco

I live in Palatine. The mulch is free, but remember "you get what you pay for"...
The best time to go is a week or two after a big storm - all the fallen limbs & broken branches around town end up here, so the wood is 'fresh' & somewhat healthy. But you'll also get alot of leaves still green mixed in.
Sometimes mid-summer the quality isn't too good - I've found lots of garbage ground up with the plant material (plastic grocery store bags, broken glass, empty cigarette packs...). Sometimes residents bundle up very diseased & bug infested material to be recycled, and the village employees can't be expected to inspect everything they grind, so you're just giving these problems a free ride into your yard.
Because I live close, it's easy to stop by to check the quality, and come back later if if looks spooky. I've also taken a few bags of good mulch from a very massive huge pile, & gone back 2 days later to find it's all gone.
But if you do go, bring containers (I use plastic 'contractor clean-up bags') & shovel & gloves. You're digging it yourself from a pile. And the mice are friendly...

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 2:00AM
trisha_51(5 Nebraska)

Perhaps you could do a walk around your neighborhood and notice the recyle bags of grass, etc. A couple of our neighbors were delighted when i asked if i could take their bags of grass.

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 2:46PM
lee53011(5)

Call some local tree trimmers. Many times they are happy to get rid of their wood chips as otherwise they have to pay to get rid of them. That is how I get mine, delivered for free.

Lee

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
Columnar fastigiate screening tree recommendations
hello! I'm wondering if members have recommendations...
SchnooMom
WANTED: Chicago Area Exchange Meetup
I'm going to try to get everyone here to meet up and...
zubdog
does Southern IL belong here
Please Help me find a forum!
organic_gardenhag
Detroit Area Gardeners?
Hi, This gardening season I'm going to be moving to...
rachels_haven
Illinois seedlings help!
Hello this is my second year growing seeds indoors...
satami00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™