Arborviti and what natives?

nancita(6)April 5, 2013

Hi all,
Purchased a home and spent the last year remodeling the inside. Now we're ready to head outdoors.
Moved back from FL and had a strictly native yard. I just loved the place.
My MA home is on a corner lot of two smaller streets. Landscaping, especially in the back, is a challenge. There's a second driveway right in the middle of the yard, which will be kept but toned down to probably gravel or something more attractive than asphalt. Arborviti go across half of the back boundary and most of the side with the backyard driveway. I love the idea of dressing up the arborviti with some native, butterfly-attracting plants. Also, fragrant flowers would be wonderful.My knowledge of MA plants unfortunately limited to the usual suspects and I would appreciate any help.
Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edlincoln(6A)

Red Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis) is a native vine. There also is probably some native relative of Honeysuckle, but avoid the invasive Japanese Honeysuckle.

While not native and invasive, most people in the area seem to use Trumpet Vine to attract hummingbirds.

While not vines...
Purple Coneflower(Echinacea purpurea), Beebalm (aka Wild Bergamot) and Eastern Showy Aster (Eurybia spectabilis) are natives that butterflies like and which are relatively easy to find. There are also a million variants of milkweed, including many butterflies love and many native versions...for instance Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Jersey Tea is a bit more obscure.

I'd consider planting Eastern Red Ceder if you want to extend the Arborvitae border...it is very similar to Arborvitae, but has berries a few species of birds eat, and is native.

Check out the Garden in the Woods in Natick. They specialize in native plants.

http://www.newfs.org/store

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 10:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancita(6)

Thank you for the great ideas. The Garden in the Woods sounds like it's right up my alley. Can't wait to go. I'll be like a kid in a cand store.
Thank you again.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Elm scale
I planted a Princeton Elm in my front yard 2 years...
aew75
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™