Tradescantia pallida

KatrinaG(5 IN)June 22, 2005

Anyone around here grow tradescantia pallida (purple queen)? I bought some online. They are gorgeous. Thinking of trying a cutting and spreading them to another flower bed. But the website I bought them off of used a word like "enthusiastic" to describe their spreading. Am worried they might be insidious and I'll never get rid of them later. Has anyone had any problems like that?

Katrina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Janine Starykowicz

I think this is the one I bought this year, have it in a hanging pot. Found this on the internet:

Hardiness: USDA Zones 8 - 11. Purple heart can tolerate a touch of frost, but it appreciates a blanket on cold winter nights. It will usually come back from the roots after a moderate freeze.

Propagation: Like other Tradescantias, this species roots easily from cuttings if the stem nodes are firmly buried in sandy soil. It is very easy to transplant.

Doesn't say anything about seeding, so looks safe. I'm hoping mine will overwinter in my semi-heated basement.

The blooms on mine stay open in the afternoon, much later than my hardy tradescantia do.

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
Ruby falls redbud
I just purchased a ruby falls red bud and I'm a zone...
greenygar
Good source for cold hardy Bald Cypress?
I've read Bald Cypress is capable of growing in the...
Pontederia
Mystery Perennial blooming now in KC
I don't often see a perennial blooming this late in...
slimwhitman
moving perennials with some disease
Bought a hydrangea very cheap this summer ... Cheap...
dan_in_winfield
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™