Tradescantia pallida

KatrinaG(5 IN)June 22, 2005

Anyone around here grow tradescantia pallida (purple queen)? I bought some online. They are gorgeous. Thinking of trying a cutting and spreading them to another flower bed. But the website I bought them off of used a word like "enthusiastic" to describe their spreading. Am worried they might be insidious and I'll never get rid of them later. Has anyone had any problems like that?

Katrina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Janine Starykowicz

I think this is the one I bought this year, have it in a hanging pot. Found this on the internet:

Hardiness: USDA Zones 8 - 11. Purple heart can tolerate a touch of frost, but it appreciates a blanket on cold winter nights. It will usually come back from the roots after a moderate freeze.

Propagation: Like other Tradescantias, this species roots easily from cuttings if the stem nodes are firmly buried in sandy soil. It is very easy to transplant.

Doesn't say anything about seeding, so looks safe. I'm hoping mine will overwinter in my semi-heated basement.

The blooms on mine stay open in the afternoon, much later than my hardy tradescantia do.

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
Transplanting peonies, hydrangea now?
I would like to move some peonies and plant one hydrangea....
dan_in_winfield
Volunteer plants from annuals not hardy to zone
I posted in the impatiens forum about my shock of finding...
fieldofflowers
clay soil-yellowish plant leaves
I have Indiana clay soil that hasnt been worked in...
muddy_mom
what is this??
This growing in my flower bed. I think it may be some...
snowburd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™