Need landscaping ideas-shrubs for mostly shade

casmith_epJune 3, 2010

I am a gardener, but vegetables and perennials are my thing. I know little about shrubs (or landscape design)-- and should probably hire a profssional to help me with the front of my house. But I'm seeking some ideas first in the hope I can do it myself.

I have purple gem rhododendrons in the front border right now and those are OK. But the shady, five-foot wide by 10-foot long border under the bay window is currently empty (contains some random shrubs in this old photo). I would like to do one vertical shrub near the front door and two or three shorter roundish shrubs of contrasting foliage colors and sizes (preferably non-flowering) to the left of it. Does anyone have any tried and true combinations that could work in this spot?

Here is a link that might be useful: Google map link to street view of my house (don't tell the deer where I live)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
casmith_ep

And thanks for any thoughts you can provide!

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 5:19PM
cindysunshine(5b)

Do you like hydrangeas? They are of course deciduous but I adore my Annabelle and Oakleafs that live behind my deck which is mostly shade. Here's a pic from a week or so ago - they just get better as the season progresses. Of course they do flower...

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 7:30PM
casmith_ep

Your hydrangeas are beautiful! And I do like them in general. I just feel like everything in my yard flowers right now, and it seems little busy. Thanks so much for sharing the photo and idea. I may end up with hydrangeas after all...

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 11:35PM
cindysunshine(5b)

Japanese maples are another thought - I have them up further on the deck more as speciments but they have grown into rather wonderful mounds and they do not flower but have lovely foliage color. I wonder how a few of them would do if planted next to each other and kept pruned nicely. I noticed they had really wonderful maples up at our local Ace hardware of all places the other day for very reasonable prices in the $40 range per plant and they were very nice ones. Those maples grow on this side of the house further up the deck. The green one is really too large, but the deep burgandy has stayed quite contained and has been in place 20 years.

Mine sit as three specimens...

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 2:16AM
casmith_ep

I love this! I'm definitely going to look into it.

You have a fantastic yard, by the way. Thanks so much!

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Too late to plant grass in Kansas city area?
I have several patches in my yard that need to be reseeded....
M V
Garden Soil Naperville area
Looking for a bulk supplier of "Garden Soil",...
prariegardner
Good source for cold hardy Bald Cypress?
I've read Bald Cypress is capable of growing in the...
Pontederia
Illinois seedlings help!
Hello this is my second year growing seeds indoors...
satami00
Sponsored Products
A19 Lighting | Milano Mini Pendant Light
$339.99 | YLighting
Drake Wall Sconce
Lightology
Area Rug: Quincy Keywork Beige 5' x 7'
$81.97 | Home Depot
Arteriors Home - Havana Lamp - 17143-615
Great Furniture Deal
Basin Mod Dish - Steel Life
$130.00 | HORNE