Hardy Tree Rose

eviempJune 4, 2007

Last summer I bought a "Polar Joy" tree rose that was supposed to be very hardy in this area. I kind of doubted that would be true, but was I every wrong. This rose tree came through our bad winter with absolutely no dieback and without any protection at all. It sure looked better than all the rest of my roses, including the shrub roses. Right now it is in full bloom and beautiful. So, if anybody likes tree roses, this is the one to get. I bought it at Pesche's in suburban Chicago and I also saw it in the Jung catalog.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Thanks, Eviem..I thought Peschi's closed down..
You lucked out..I bought a tree rose at KMart about 5 yrs ago but it didn't make it. It was an expensive tree to begin with and the label stated, hardy to z5. Which is why I bought it.
Do you know if Jung's ships full trees or stick? It's been a while since I ordered. Thanks and congrats..Toni

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 4:16PM
eviemp

Hi Toni,

I know Jung's had the "stick" ones-the tree form, in their latest catalog. They also had it last year, but by the time I tried to order one they were sold out.

Pesche's is still going strong. They have this tree rose in 3 and 4 foot sizes. I bought the 3 foot one which is perfect. I saw them there a few weeks ago, but have no idea if they are still available. These roses trees are from Minnesota, so they have to be really hardy, I guess!
Thanks, Evie

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 4:46PM
parrotslave

That is great to hear, eviem. I planted two this year that I ordered from Jung's. They arrived bare root, about three feet tall with small branches at the top.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Cukes and Dill
Good Morning! Does anyone have a good estimate of when...
PalmieJill
ID needed
These plants are growing wild in the alley behind my...
dellis326 (Danny)
Too late to plant grass in Kansas city area?
I have several patches in my yard that need to be reseeded....
megs1082
Year round outdoor containers for Chicago
I would like to know what plants, either flowers or...
rbpchicago
Flowering Orchid
I have a house plant that my mother had started and...
junefarmgirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™