Do you make leaf mulch?

ascoliSeptember 29, 2009

I usually use shredded leaves to cover plants for winter and will do that again this year. But I have enough leaves that I'm considering building a bin and getting some separate leaf mulch going for next spring's beds. A master gardener tells me she swears by it: good looking and good for the soil as it breaks down and is worked in.

Do you make leaf mulch? If so, how?

Here's a link to a page of directions I found interesting and will probably follow:

http://www.hereandthere.org/making-mulch/making-mulch-from-leaves.html

Thanks --

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

We have a mow and vac and I simply dump some of the shredded leaves on a pile near my compost pile and let it sit until spring.

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 10:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garystpaul(4)

I make huge amounts of leaf mulch and compost throughout the summer and now into fall. I'm just using up the last of the OPBL I collected last year (OPBL = other peoples' bagged leaves; must have had well over 100 bags). I'm lucky to own a MacKissic shredder and that makes the job easier and faster. The leaves break down much more quickly when shredded, but I have long-term leaf mold piles as well. (I'm a bit obsessive about it all, ha, but there are worse obsessions). Happy mulch-making. GaryStPaul

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
Late Summer Garden Swap???
Anyone interested in a late summer/early autumn garden...
KittyWitty
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™