New to Kansas from Texas...

NikkiTX(6)June 23, 2006

Hi all. I've been on these forums for a couple of years now. Mostly on Texas Gardening. That's where I moved to Kansas from. I got up here about 4 weeks ago and realized I know NOTHING about this zone! LOL I'm reading up a bit but most of my gardening books are still in storage. I just really wanted to say hi to everyone here. I had a blank slate to work with, have gotten a few things in, mostly hostas and impatiens. Noticed that gardens around here don't have many the same plants as we use down south. Although I do recognize some old favorites. Certainly rains more here. That's a nice change. Not as hot either, that's a VERY nice change!

Happy Gardening!

Nikki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oswegian(Z5 IL)

Welcome to the Midwest! I have come to love it here after a decade or so of living in Chicagoland.

We moved here from Tucson, AZ, so we are kinda "reverse snowbirds." There is a lot of info in Arizona for gardening snowbirds, but not so much the reverse here. 75% of the people who live here were born here, and they just anticipate everybody will be familiar with it.

I got some interesting books to help, though. Midwest university press books are good. Check your local Kansas schools. One book I could suggest is "Flower Gardening in the Hot Midwest," by Linda Hillegass. It's a U of Illinois press book, but IIRC, she gardens in Kansas or Iowa.

I'll include the Amazon link below, where the book excerpt sums up the climate well. See if it applies to your zone. One of the most remarkable things about Midwest weather is that you get four honest-to-goodness different seasons, all about three full months long.

In the winter it's freezing, and in the summer it's freakin HOT. (USDA zones talk about cold hardiness, not summer heat.) Spring and Fall are gorgeous! Believe me, I have the utmost respect for the flora and fauna here who can take such extremes. They are the greatest.

Have fun learning about your new home. I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Gardening in the Hot Midwest

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 12:45PM
shercarterks(Kansas)

Hello and welcome to Kansas! As an old farm gal who was raised in Kansas, maybe I can help you! If there are any plants you have questions about please feel free to e-mail me. One thing to keep in mind...It's hot and dry here most of the summer and unless you want to water OFTEN, you might want to plant with this in mind. I'd love to share photo's of my gardens and tips with you! Sher

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 9:31AM
friesfan1(5b NW-KS)

Hi Nikki,
Welcome to KS. What end of the state do you live in?
I am in the NW corner by NE. Cold winters and hot summers.
What kind of yard will you be planting in? Mostly sun, or
shade?
I plant everything I know I cannot kill! Daisy, Blackeyed
susan, daylilies. And then lots of annuals.
Mary

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
looking for strong fragrance in garden
I am in Chicago zone 5 and am looking to plant something...
both
Good source for cold hardy Bald Cypress?
I've read Bald Cypress is capable of growing in the...
Pontederia
Garden Soil Naperville area
Looking for a bulk supplier of "Garden Soil",...
prariegardner
Cukes and Dill
Good Morning! Does anyone have a good estimate of when...
PalmieJill
WANTED: Chicago Area Exchange Meetup
I'm going to try to get everyone here to meet up and...
zubdog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™