Tiger Lillys

edspanglerApril 2, 2013

Greetings, I am so pleased with all the advice I have already received as a new member about my Roses!!!.
I am planning on planting some Tiger Lilly bulbs that I have ordered, in next couple weeks, doing this to honor and remember my Grandmother, who always had beautiful Tiger Lilly's.
I actually transplanted one of her bulbs came up green for a couple years, never flowered,, but it seems to not come up at all anymore??,:-( wonder if I should attempt to dig it up / find it and replant? anyway, here's my plan based on conversations with the bulb supplier, I have my Grandmothers old washtub, I intend to drill drill drain holes in it, place a layer of gravel in bottom, fill with Miracle Gro
" Moisture Control" soil, and after that as far as feeding or fertilizing or spraying for fungus , disease.....I have "NO CLUE".........Advice anyone? Please respond to my email so I am able to print any responses.
Thanks
ED

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Are you talking about native plants (this is a native plant forum)? Tiger lilies are not native to North America.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lilium lancifolium

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 11:17AM
edspangler

Not Native Plant?? .....OK, I admit I am not totally in tune with all this.
So, ....what/ where..... do i need to post my question??
Thanks
Ed

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 11:55AM
edspangler

Thanks for the link, it does say they are originally from Asia, Thanks for the clarification. That said, there is no info on the Link as to where to find info on growing them. Is there somewhere on this website I can post my question??
ED

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 11:59AM
esh_ga

There happens to be a Lily forum here. Good luck! There are lots of nice native lilies too, by the way. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily forum

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 1:46PM
jimbobfeeny(5a IN)

If you want native "tiger lily' type lilies, plant Lilium superbum or L. michiganense - I've put in some superbums this year. (They get up to 8 feet tall in moist, sunny conditions). Can't wait to see how they fare in moist, floodplain woods! (In a clearing at the edge)

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 3:50PM
CaraRose

I'm curious if you may mean the orange day lilies ("ditch lilies"). My mom and great aunt called them tiger lilies. I believe it's a common name for them in some areas.

They're also not natives, but escaped cultivation in a lot of places. They are aggressive spreaders. We have them all over here.

I added a link to the Wikipedia entry for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemerocallis_fulva

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Trillium project
Hello all - Here is a picture of some of the trillium...
jebfarm
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™