Native plants for Jersey Shore garden?

lmpneelyApril 2, 2011

Hello, I'm designing the landscape for a beach cottage in Brigantine, NJ. Any suggestions for native plants that would work well 'down the shore?' Looking to eliminate the lawn completely. I need to create a hedge in a shaded, narrow strip between my house and the neighbor, was thinking either of tall grasses or perhaps Ilex Verticillata. Also looking for a small specimen tree at front corner (amelanchier canadensis?), surrounded by low maintenance perennials. Finally, looking for a ground cover for a shaded path between front and back yards. Would love to hear your suggestions. Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Is this a true coastal environment such that the soil is sandy? If so, some consideration to that may be needed.

If that strip between the neighbor is truly shady then neither grasses nor Ilex verticillata are appropriate (unless you don't mind a lack of blooms).

For the ground cover on the shady path, consider Antennaria plantaginifolia . Amelanchier canadensis is a nice specimen tree. Does the area get afternoon sun? I'd also consider a native azalea if they are appropriate for your area or a Viburnum (some of them can be like a small tree).

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
Agalinis auriculata and other imperiled species for your garden
Has any of you tried to introduce a locally imperiled/endangered...
WoodsTea 6a MO
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Buttonbush: sun or shade?
I have a question about a plant I received for free...
crabbygardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™