Beyond Excited-a new native out of nowhere!

dkgarberApril 25, 2010

One year, I stopped "gardening" in my backyard and just let everything go. I started learning about native woodland plants, and each year I scour my yard to see what treasures I've been missing. So far, I am DELIGHTED to have huge stands of jack in the pulpits, trilliums, real and false solomon seals (which have almost taken over), canadian mayflower and lots of ferns. I just love it.

Yesterday I found some new leaves of a plant that was unfamiliar. Google helped me identify it as yellow trout lilly-YAY!!!! I've never had these in my yard before-unless while doing my other plantings I've disturbed them?? I am very happy to have another woodland plant pop up.

I know nothing of this plant-can anyone tell me anything about it??

This is WAY more fun than a manicured, nursery produced garden. Each year is a surprise finding out what mother nature has decided to grow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrescue

Congratulations. Benign neglect can work wonders if those seeds are there in the ground, i.e., there has not been so much plowing and tilling and taking of the top soil. Otherwise, you have to amend and plant.

As for the trout lily, I do know its roots go down quite deeply and is hard to transplant. It seeds out freely, so you should have a nice stand in a few years. The foliage disappears as the weather warms up.

I love this plant because it is so early here...the start of a new season.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 10:02AM
anitamo(5)

My lot is covered in them, especially plentiful in areas where I've done less digging. The seeds are spread around by ants...an immature plant has only one leaf, and will not produce a flower until it has two leaves. How long that takes, I'm not sure. When I first moved here ten years ago, all those single leaves popping up in the spring really bothered me, and I'd try to cover them up with wood mulch. Now I appreciate them for the native beauties they really are.
They disappear by summer.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 1:35PM
dkgarber

I've done alot of planting in the area where they are, which is baffling to me. In fact, they are growing around a viburnum I put in a couple years ago!!! Its at the very front of my woodland garden, and while I "neglected it" and stopped removing plants and weeds, I've def added to it.

Magic!

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
Native Evergreen Shrubs
There seems to be a real shortage of species that fit...
jigsawearth
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™