Dahlias did not sprout

AmyKCJuly 15, 2013

I planted several dahlia tubers on the East side of my yard in late May. I'd never tried dahlias before. In fact, I'm new to gardening altogether but have really really fallen in love with it and had a wonderful summer with great luck...except for those dahlias. :( So a couple of questions. First, can anyone help me figure out why they didn't sprout so that I can avoid this problem in the future? And second, can I dig up the tubers and keep them to try again, and if so...how?
Let me give you some info on the planting. I live in Kansas City, MO. We are Zone 6 now. Again, I planted then in late May...a few days before Memorial Day. The day after planting we got a crazy crazy monsoon rain so I put more dirt on them the following day. The following weekend, I covered them in new pine mulch. We did have a really bad slug problem. For about two weeks I tried the slug hunting and coffee and eggshell tricks, etc...everything I could find on the Internet. I eventually had to resort to Sluggo. It worked. But I'm wondering if the slugs ate them? Did I over water? Underwater? Should I have waited to mulch? Mulch too late? Any tips?
And again, can I dig them up and save them???
Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Did they actually sprout then disappear? Did you actually see slugs? How much more dirt and mulch did you pile on top? If there's no sprouting, you probably have nothing to lose by digging up the tubers. They may well be mushy and rotten from a wet spring and the ground staying wet under an extra layer of soil and mulching. If so, they cannot be saved.

If you love dahlias (and who doesn't), get your gardening experience with them next season by buying a box of tubers from Costco, Sam's Club, hardware stores, or any of the other big box stores for not too much of an $ investment. I've had good luck with those the years I buy them. They might not be the exotic mail order types, but they grow and bloom. I'm not interested in digging and storing so get fresh ones and discard at season's end.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Need evergreen suggestions for planting bed
I really like the design of this evergreen bed. Does...
mememare
Volunteer plants from annuals not hardy to zone
I posted in the impatiens forum about my shock of finding...
fieldofflowers
Which tree to choose in front of house
The village removed a tree in front of my house, because...
Sandra858
Good source for cold hardy Bald Cypress?
I've read Bald Cypress is capable of growing in the...
Pontederia
WANTED: Chicago Area Traders?
Anyone in the Chicago Area interested in doing a spring...
vhinkes
Sponsored Products
Dahlia Delight Tray
$47.99 | Dot & Bo
VIG Furniture - Divani Casa Dahlia Modern White Leather Sectional...
Great Furniture Deal
Seedling by thomaspaul Dahlia Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Clarina Black Metal 37 1/4"x38 Sunburst Wall Mirror
$89.98 | Lamps Plus
Jane Seymour Pink & Green Dahlias and Ranunculus 11H in. Silk Flower Arrangement
$100.00 | Hayneedle
Dahlia Patina Flower Outdoor Wall D├ęcor
$25.99 | zulily
Linon Trio Collection Dahlia Multicolored Area Rug (5' x 7')
Overstock.com
Tribeca Living Dahlia Floral Printed Deep Pocket Flannel Sheet Set
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™