Lonicera sempervirens flowers turned white this spring

miabranApril 14, 2014

I have had this major wheeler plant for a couple of years and it has always had the regular red trumpets and attracted lots of hummingbirds. This spring it was loaded with tiny white trumpets. Is this normal. Will the red trumpets come back. Are the hummingbirds going to be mad :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vmr423

I haven't heard of a white coral honeysuckle, so it will be interesting to hear if it continues with white blooms throughout the summer, and past this bloom season. I know that there's a yellow cultivar of Lonicera sempervirens ('John Clayton'- see link below), so it obviously does 'sport' away from the usual coral/orange-y colors.

Hummingbirds will visit the Japanese honeysuckle, so I'm guessing they'll be okay with your mutant white flowers.

I planted a 'Major Wheeler' and a 'Magnifica' last spring and they have yet to bloom, although they are vining... This spring I planted a species coral honeysuckle in between the other vines and it is outperforming the older cultivar plants and is ready to bloom already. By the time the hummers come back through here in late summer, I'm hoping all 3 plants will be blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of 'John Clayton' honeysuckle

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Is this a native/what is this?
This spring-blooming, 1-2" tall bed of flowers:...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™