Senna/casia hebecarpa

blueberrier1April 7, 2010

Have several bare root senna hebecarpa to plant from Musser Forest. Was attracted to them based on their support for butterflies. Cannot locate info as to invasiveness/best site/companion plants etc. Had wanted to plant them on the north east side of small birch planting area...so the butterflies antics could be viewed from a nearby patio. I would appreciate any details from your observations or experiences. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Hi, there! I grow S. hebecarpa and have for about 5 years now. It doesn't seem to be invasive for me. The seeds do not reseed for me either. They might if I actually cultivated them, but I don't. I have had both Sleepy Orange and Cloudless Sulphurs lay eggs on it. I do nothing to support it in the way of pruning, fertilizing, etc. It gets kind of rangy looking after it blooms, but I wouldn't be without it.

Mine gets late afternoon shade and does great. Soil doesn't appear to be a factor in growing it. These plants are nitrogen fixing legumes, so not necessary to fertilize them.

Susan

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 10:42PM
blueberrier1

Thanks, Susan. Am looking forward to enjoying these as much as you.

I had soaked the bare rooted plants in a weak Fertrell 4-8-4 fish-kelp solution for a few hours. I then root pruned them to six inches, as some roots were 24 inches long and there was no other way to accommodate them in the rich clay site. Somewhere, I read to space them 2' apart, but only spaced at 15". They are alongside a mixed island bed that has three sapphireberry seedlings, coneflowers, irises, and reseeding annuals. Am hoping the Senna will bloom this summer. This bed is about 10' west of my largest raised veg bed and gets daily viewing/attention.

Have you ever saved seeds, scarified and planted to check germination? One site mentioned that Cassia/senna hebecarpa is the undiscovered treasure of the summer garden.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 8:18AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

No, I haven't. I have a small garden, and this Senna reaches about 6' tall and wide. That's plenty big enuff for me. I also grow Senna bicapsularis, which is not hardy here, but reseeds a lot. It is very attractive, too, and the Sulphurs give it equal opportunity.

They don't really need rich soil, since they are nitrogen-fixing plants and provide their own nutrients and also to plants around them. They should bloom this summer. Mine was a small plant in a 4" pot. It grew to about 3' tall that same year and bloomed a lot. The bumblebees also love it, but they're only interested in getting to the pollen.

I think you'll really like and enjoy them.

Susan

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
Callery Pear Forests
Today I had a shock. We were driving through the way...
texasranger2
Sponsored Products
Brushed Nickel Semi Flush 1-Light Fluorescent
PLFixtures
Black Senna Duvet Cover Set
$54.99 | zulily
Orange Senna Comforter Set
$54.99 | zulily
Tannery Bronze Semi Flush 1-Light Fluorescent
PLFixtures
Orange Senna Comforter Set
$54.99 | zulily