Virgin to Gardening...

kj14July 21, 2006

Hi all,

I'm glad I found this web site, it seems everyone is helpful. I am a young mom who has recently taken up gardening. My problem however is time. I work full time, go to school, and my son is in many sports. That being said, I buy seeds, plant them where I think they'll look good, (with regard to the sun requirements)water and miracle grow, and then wait impatiently for everything to bloom. Not smart, I know. This year I may have screwed up. I planted Cosmos, Canterbury Bells, Sunflowers, Bachelor Buttons, Candytuft, Zinnia, Morning Glories, Moonflower Vines, Four O'Clocks, Alysum, and more that I can't remember. I wasn't careful about keeping the seed packets, and there's a couple beds that I don't have a clue what's coming up. I have a lot of green, but the only blooms so far are on the Zinnia and Alysum. I don't even think that the Cosmos ever even came up! (I'm not sure as the Four O'Clocks are a huge mass of greenery and could be hiding Cosmos somewhere). Any advice from anyone on the other plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
artdeco

Hello!
The sunflowers usually grow quite big, depending on the variety. If you planted in spring, they should be at least 3' tall by now. The leaves are course & rough.
Moonvine & morning Glory are vines w/ skinny stems. They'll wrap themselves around the other plants if you don't give them something else to wrap around & climb.

Maybe you can look up pictures of the plants on the internet so you can identify them, and see if maybe the plants need more spacing between them. Usually seeds are planted closely, but as they sprout thinning is needed. Different plants need different space requirements.

Good Luck!

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 12:19AM
More Discussions
Need evergreen suggestions for planting bed
I really like the design of this evergreen bed. Does...
mememare
Year round outdoor containers for Chicago
I would like to know what plants, either flowers or...
rbpchicago
Kansas City - here I come! (help pls.)
My husband and I are going to be moving to Kansas City...
aprilk
Ruby falls redbud
I just purchased a ruby falls red bud and I'm a zone...
greenygar
WANTED: Chicago Area Exchange Meetup
I'm going to try to get everyone here to meet up and...
zubdog
Sponsored Products
Botanical Isle Banana Oval: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Braided Rug
$269.00 | Bellacor
Jadeite Hanging Vase
$23.99 | Dot & Bo
Large Natural Wheelbarrow
Fifthroom.com
Tranquility 8.5-foot Pure Natural Copper Rain Chain
Overstock.com
Indoor/Outdoor Floor Mat: Mushroom Beige 6' x 9' Polypropylene Reversible Patio/
$39.97 | Home Depot
Meadow Outdoor Bronze Indoor - Outdoor Floor Fountain
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™