White liatris - blazing star?

joandaugh(Z5 Chicago)July 11, 2006

I keep seeing this advertised in catalogs but I don't think I've seen any growing in yards in my area, though I've seen a little of the purple liatris. I love the vertical line and hope it would be something that grows upright without needing staking. Does anybody have some in their yard? I have too much purple already . . .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hamstewart_aol_com

HI, I have white liatris but I think it has a dirty look, not a pretty white. It does stand nice without support. All in all, a nice plant.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 11:21PM
veronicastrum(z5 IL)

I've had Liatris 'White Kobold' for several years. It is a nice clean white while blooming but the fading blooms do look dirty. It is, though, a more prolific reseeder than the purple liatris. I had mixed both purple and white in equal numbers originally, but by last year the white was by far the dominant plant. So last year I ripped out several of the white and things are more balanced this year, although I probably will do a smaller purge this year.

Another suggestion for a tall, vertical white is Veronicastrum virginicum. Most of my plants stay upright without staking, although I do get an occassional flopper. It's one of my favorite plants, but you probably already guessed that!

V.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 8:46AM
joandaugh(Z5 Chicago)

The veronicastrum is gorgeous! I've never heard of it. I need my own meadow.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
chinandega81
Volunteer plants from annuals not hardy to zone
I posted in the impatiens forum about my shock of finding...
fieldofflowers
Too late to plant grass in Kansas city area?
I have several patches in my yard that need to be reseeded....
M V
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
WANTED: Chicago Area Traders?
Anyone in the Chicago Area interested in doing a spring...
vhinkes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™